Tuesday 23 July 2019

Taxi driver 'choked with cord', court hears

Stock image
Stock image
Andrew Phelan

Andrew Phelan

A taxi driver who had a manicure tool held to his throat while he was choked with a cord in a violent robbery managed to fight off both his attackers, a court has been told.

One of the alleged assailants fled while the cabbie, with the help of passers-by, was able to hold the other down until gardaí arrived.

Father-of-two Gerard Cully (32), from Casement Road in Finglas, appeared in Dublin District Court charged with robbery.

He is also accused of taking part in a spate of other armed raids in the city in recent weeks.

Judge Bryan Smyth refused to grant him bail and remanded him in custody.

Detective Garda PJ Gallagher said it was alleged Mr Cully and another man were picked up by the cabbie on James's Street in the early hours of September 29. Mr Cully got into the front passenger seat and the other man sat directly behind the driver, Det Gda Gallagher said.

The driver was directed to Railway Street and Mr Cully allegedly produced a cuticle pusher and held it to the taxi driver's throat.

The back seat passenger put a cord around the man's neck and used force to restrain and choke him, Det Gda Gallagher said.

The court heard €30 cash was taken and the driver fought off both men before being able to free himself.

Outside, the unknown man took the keys, while Mr Cully allegedly struck the driver with the cuticle pusher, causing minor injuries.

Members of the public came to help and the unknown man fled the scene.

Separately, the court heard of two other robberies and one attempted robbery alleged to have been carried out by Mr Cully and another man.

At Londis on O'Connell Street on September 4, Mr Cully allegedly tried to force the cash register open with a hammer before forcing staff to open it, then fleeing with €215 in cash. On September 9, Mr Cully allegedly produced a knife and demanded cash at Spar on O'Connell Street. When the staff member refused, he ran towards him, Det Gda Gallagher alleged.

The staff member used a bin to protect himself and the accused left empty handed, the garda alleged.

On September 10, at the Fresh store on Mayor Street, Mr Cully allegedly threatened to stab a staff member with a knife, then fled with €260.

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Lorraine Stephens said Mr Cully was presumed innocent.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News