Saturday 23 November 2019

'Take Back the City' protesters end occupation of Dublin building - court hears

The property is the third North inner city premises that has been the subject of High Court proceedings after they were occupied by the protesters. Picture: Tony Gavin
The property is the third North inner city premises that has been the subject of High Court proceedings after they were occupied by the protesters. Picture: Tony Gavin

Aodhan O'Faolain

Protesters have complied with orders directing them to vacate and end their occupation of a building in Dublin's north inner city, the High Court has been told.

Last month, the court granted  MJH Property Management, owners of 41 Belvedere Place, Dublin, an injunction compelling persons unknown to immediately vacate and cease their unlawful trespass on the property.

The matter was briefly mentioned before Ms Justice Caroline Costello on Tuesday, who was informed that the protesters have left the building.

Stephen Hanaphy Bl for the MJH said that the owners had taken back possession of the building from persons, believed to be members of "Take Back the City" campaign, and said that the proceedings could be struck out. 

When seeking the injunction MJH said the building is unsuitable for what they say is an illegal occupation, and is not safe.

The owners have plans to develop the four-story over basement Georgian property into apartments, which it acquired in 2016.

41 Belvedere Place was one of several inner-city premises occupied by those protesting the current accommodation and homeless crisis.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News