Saturday 21 April 2018

Swedish House Mafia fan viciously assaulted at Phoenix Park gig settles €60,000 damages claim against organisers

Swedish House Mafia. Photo: Getty Images
Swedish House Mafia. Photo: Getty Images

Ray Managh

A Swedish House Mafia fan, who was one of a number of people stabbed and beaten up at the group’s infamous concerts in the Phoenix Park, Dublin, four years ago, has settled his €60,000 damages claim against the organisers.

Barrister Suzanne Walsh told Judge Jacqueline Linnane in the Circuit Civil Court today that Niall Davey’s personal injuries case had been settled and could be struck out with an order for his legal costs.

Davey, of Castleknock Drive, Castleknock, Dublin, had sued MCD Productions, Dunlaoghaire, Co Dublin;  Swords Risk Services Limited, Tuam Road, Galway;  Eventsec Limited, Queen’s Way, Belfast;  Michael N. Slattery & Associates Limited, Lower Pembroke Street, Dublin, and PBM Productions Limited, trading as Diffusion Events, Dunlaoghaire.

Pat Purcell, who appeared with Ms Walsh for Davey, told Circuit Court President, Mr Justice Raymond Groarke, at the call-over of cases that he wished to present a Garda Investigation Report on incidents at the concerts which ran over three days in July 2012.

Paul O’Neill, counsel for all of the defendants, told the court he would have to take his clients’ instructions on this new development and the case was put back to be heard by Judge Linnane.

Ms Walsh, instructed by solicitors Hennessy and Perrozzi, later told Judge Linnane that as a result of inter-party talks the case had been settled. She did not disclose the amount of the settlement which was made jointly and severally against all defendants.

Mr Davey claimed anti-social behaviour by a group of males, who kicked mud in people’s faces, went on for two hours at the July 7 concert before two security men tackled them but had been forced to retreat.

A short time later he had been attacked by a member of this group and viciously assaulted, beaten and stabbed in the back.  Several others had kicked and punched him about the head.

He had been treated at the A&E department of Blanchardstown Hospital where he had been x-rayed and his wounds explored, cleaned and stitched.  His consultant A&E specialist believed he had suffered concussion.

In a Circuit Criminal Court case involving an attack and stabbing of another fan at one of the concerts the judge heard that as a result of how the concert was managed and “poorly marshalled” event organisers met afterwards with the Garda Commissioner and protocols were put in place for the running of any future events in the park.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News