Sunday 20 October 2019

Student scarred after sitting on tub of hot oil

Whelan had a large number of prior convictions. (stock photo)
Whelan had a large number of prior convictions. (stock photo)

Tim Healy

A student who sued after he was burned when he sat on a bucket of freshly discarded hot oil from the Chinese takeaway he worked in has settled his High Court action.

Fine arts student Umesh Maharjan suffered devastating injuries when the oil splashed on his back and arm, the court heard. He was in excruciating pain and has been left with "grossly disfiguring" scars.

Mr Maharjan, who is originally from Kathmandu in Nepal, was working in the Rathnew Chinese Takeaway in Wicklow to finance his degree.

His counsel Declan Doyle SC said he was taking a break at the back of the premises where plastic buckets were kept. Somebody had put hot cooking oil from a deep-fat fryer in a bucket and when Mr Maharjan sat on it, the lid gave way and he collapsed backwards. The oil spilled over his back and left arm.

Counsel said he suffered life-changing injuries and had extensive burns. Colleagues, he said, helped and put water and some ice on the affected areas and Mr Maharjan was taken to hospital. Mr Maharjan (29), of Dock Road, Limerick, sued Rathnew Restaurant and Takeaway Ltd as a result of the accident on August 21, 2015.

Mr Justice Michael Hanna was told the issue of liability had been withdrawn in the case and it was before the court for assessment of damages only.

Following talks yesterday, Mr Doyle said the case had been settled and could be struck out.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News