Friday 16 November 2018

'Sorry, I didn't mean it,' says man charged with murder of older brother

Gerard ‘Gerry’ Lynch at Newcastlewest District Court yesterday. Photo: Liam Burke/Press 22
Gerard ‘Gerry’ Lynch at Newcastlewest District Court yesterday. Photo: Liam Burke/Press 22
Gerard 'Gerry' Lynch
Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

A young man charged with the murder of his older brother in their Limerick home told arresting gardaí he was "sorry".

Gerard 'Gerry' Lynch (29) appeared before Newcastlewest District Court charged with the murder of his brother, William 'Willie' Lynch (35), on December 30 in Pallaskenry.

Judge Mary Larkin was told that Gerry Lynch replied to gardaí after being charged: "Sorry, I didn't mean it."

Gerry Lynch, of Main Street, Pallaskenry, Co Limerick, appeared in court wearing slacks and a grey sweatshirt.

He kept his head bowed throughout the brief proceedings. The defendant did not speak during the hearing.

Evidence of arrest, caution and charge was offered by Garda Alan O'Donnell. He told the court that Gerry Lynch was charged at Newcastlewest Garda station on January 1.

Inspector Alan Cullen said gardaí were requesting a remand in ongoing custody.

Because the charge involved is murder, bail can be dealt with only by the High Court.

Solicitor Michael O'Donnell, who was appointed to represent the defendant, requested the court direct that all required medical assistance be provided for his client while in custody.

Judge Larkin remanded Gerry Lynch to appear again before Limerick District Court on January 9.

Willie Lynch, a well-known sporting enthusiast in the Pallaskenry area, was found critically injured at 5pm last Saturday in the two-storey terraced home off Main Street he shared with his younger brother.

He was discovered just a couple of hours before he was to host a charity pool tournament in aid of Milford Hospice.

Willie Lynch was pronounced dead at the scene before he could be transferred by paramedics to University Hospital Limerick (UHL).


Gardaí launched a murder investigation after a post-mortem examination by Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster confirmed that Willie Lynch had met a violent death.

He had sustained multiple stab wounds to the torso.

Tributes have been paid to Willie Lynch, who was deeply involved in sporting and community organisations in Pallaskenry.

Friends set up a special online fundraising appeal to help his family with funeral costs. The appeal raised more than €2,500 in the space of just 10 hours.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News