Son of the ex-Olympic boss Hickey sues father's company
A son of embattled former Olympic Council of Ireland president Pat Hickey is taking a legal action against his father's auctioneering business.
Lawyers for Fred Hickey (46) initiated the personal injuries case against Pat Hickey (Auctioneering) Ltd in the High Court on Thursday.
Fred Hickey, who has been involved in the running of the business, which trades as Hickey Auctioneers, is also suing his mother Sylvaine (68) and sister Corine (40) as part of the action.
The reasons for the case have yet to be disclosed and no affidavits have been filed to date.
The High Court has unlimited jurisdiction when it comes to personal-injury awards, unlike the Circuit Court, where awards cannot exceed €60,000.
Fred Hickey declined to discuss the matter when contacted by the Irish Independent.
"I wouldn't have any comment to make at the moment. Sorry about that," he said.
A representative of Hickey Auctioneers did not respond to a request for comment.
Pat Hickey (72) founded the business in 1977. It is located on Dublin's Dorset Street and specialises in sales and letting, valuations and BER assessments.
He resigned as a director last March but remains its main shareholder, according to the latest information filed with the Companies Registration Office. His wife Sylvaine has a small shareholding.
In an interview two years ago, Pat Hickey said the firm was being run by his children Fred and Corine.
Fred Hickey stood by his father following his arrest over alleged ticket-touting during the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016.
He subsequently met with the then Foreign Affairs Minister Charlie Flanagan to discuss concerns for his father's well-being while he was being held in a Brazilian prison.
Pat Hickey was eventually freed and allowed return to Ireland after a bond of €410,000 had been paid.
The sum was loaned to the former OCI president by the Association of World National Olympic Committees, of which Pat Hickey is senior vice-president. He has been regarded as "temporarily self-suspended" since his arrest.
The trial is due to begin in Rio on November 29, although it is unclear whether or not he will travel to Brazil to appear in court.
His legal team has previously said that he hoped to be able to participate via video link.