Six-year driving ban for teenager who smashed into Garda patrol car
A youth who crashed head-on into a patrol car following a high-speed pursuit has been banned from driving for six years.
The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, was spared a jail term after he pleaded guilty to criminal damage and multiple counts of dangerous driving in connection with the 25-minute chase in north Dublin on January 17 last.
In addition to the road ban, Judge John O'Connor imposed an 18-month probation bond on the youth during his sentence hearing at the Dublin Children's Court.
The teenager must stay out of trouble for the next year and-a-half and accept guidance from the Probation Service. If he breaks the terms, he could face a custodial sentence instead.
At an earlier stage, the judge had told the teenager he was lucky no one was killed and that he did not end up on trial for manslaughter.
At one point the youth drove sideways as he took a sharp turn at speed, the court heard.
Garda Cormac McGill told the hearing that two gardaí from Ballymun had been travelling inbound on the N2 at Finglas and came to a roundabout on St Margaret's Road.
A Fiat Punto driven by the boy came through the roundabout from the left and failed to yield, causing the gardaí to brake suddenly.
Following a lengthy pursuit, the teenager collided with a Garda patrol car, causing some €4,500 worth of damage. Garda McGill agreed that the youth was co-operative when arrested.
A probation report was furnished to the court.