Sinn Féin TD's son won't get caution in garda assault case
A court case against a TD's son accused of assaulting a garda is to proceed after a judge was told he would not be given an adult caution instead.
Fearghal Ó Snodaigh (23), son of Sinn Féin TD Aengus Ó Snodaigh, is alleged to have become threatening before resisting arrest and assaulting an officer in an incident at a Garda station.
The case had been previously adjourned for his lawyers to enquire about the possibility of a caution being given.
However, yesterday Judge Eirinn McKiernan adjourned the case for four weeks for the accused to decide how he intends to plead.
Mr Ó Snodaigh, of Naas Road, Dublin 8, is accused of assaulting Garda Niall Carolan at Ballymun garda station.
The offence is alleged to have happened on February 28 last year.
Mr Ó Snodaigh is further charged with obstructing Gda Carolan and using threatening, abusive and insulting words or behaviour, with intent to provoke a breach of the peace.
Yesterday's appearance was Mr Ó Snodaigh's fourth court date in relation to the case, after he was summonsed in January.
Defence solicitor Ruth Walsh told the judge the case had been put back "to see whether or not a caution might be administered".
She said this was not possible and she sought disclosure of prosecution documents.
A summary of the evidence against the accused had already been provided, she said.
The judge made the order and adjourned the case to next month, for the accused to either enter a plea or be given a date for hearing if he is contesting the charges.