Monday 22 January 2018

Sick warrant in court again for gun murder accused

Mary Dargan
Mary Dargan

Tom Tuite

A NEIGHBOUR charged with murder and attempted murder of a 66-year-old woman and her daughter in a gun attack at a home in Tallaght in Dublin, was unable to face court today.

Grandmother Mary Dargan died from a shotgun blast to the head after she encountered a man entering the back of her house, at the Killinarden Estate at around 4pm on March 15 last.

Her 34-year-old daughter, Karina Dargan, who also lives in the house, suffered injuries to her face; she was taken to Tallaght Hospital but was later released.

Several of Mrs Dargan’s grandchildren, including a four-year-old girl, were in the house at the time and were frantically passed out windows.

A neighbour 58-year-old James Redmond was charged with murder and attempted murder and had been remanded in custody after he appeared at Dublin District Court on March 17 last. An order had also been made that he was to be psychologically assessed. However, he has not been able to attend court hearings on several subsequent dates.

He was too unwell to attend a hearing on March 21 last at Cloverhill District Court and the case had been put back until April 2 when he was again unable to come to the proceedings which led to another adjournment.

A sick warrant was again produced to the court on April 15 and there was another two week adjournment. And today the case was listed again before Judge Victor Blake at Cloverhill District Court.

A sick warrant was produced again and the accused was further remanded in his absence; the case is due back before the same court on May 27 next.

Gardai had arrived at the Dargan's house and had arrested the man who had already been restrained at the scene and he was later treated in St James' Hospital for minor injuries.

He was released from hospital late on Saturday night before he was detained for questioning under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

At his first court hearing, on March 17, he was granted legal aid and Garda Conor Fleming had said in evidence that Mr Redmond “made no reply” when he was charged with the offences.

He has yet to be served with a book of evidence or returned for trial and the proceedings have not yet reached a stage where he has to indicate how he will be pleading to the charges.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News