Sunday 22 April 2018

Siblings charged with murdering pensioner remanded in custody for four weeks

Sabrina Cummins and her brother Kenneth (right) arriving at Dublin District Court
Sabrina Cummins and her brother Kenneth (right) arriving at Dublin District Court
Gardai and forensic officers at the scene at Cambridge Court, Dublin.

Andrew Phelan

A BROTHER and sister charged with the murder of a 63-year-old man at a housing complex for senior citizens have been remanded in custody for another four weeks.

Kenneth Cummins (26) and his sister Sabrina Cummins (36) had the case against them adjourned for the directions of the DPP when they appeared in Dublin District District Court today.

They are both charged with murdering Thomas Horan, who died after he was beaten at his home in sheltered accommodation for the elderly in Ringsend last week.

It was their second court appearance after they were arrested and charged over the killing. Mr Horan died of internal injuries and his body was found in the bedroom of the flat.

The accused, both of the same address at Ringsend Park, Dublin 4 are charged with murdering Mr Horan at Cambridge Court, Ringsend on January 6.

This morning, Judge Michael Walsh was told the DPP's directions were outstanding and a four-week remand was being sought.

Barrister Sorcha Whelan, for Kenneth Cummins, consented to this.

Solicitor Cahir O'Higgins, representing Sabrina Cummins, asked Judge Walsh to grant free legal aid in his case.

The judge made the order and remanded both defendants in custody, to appear in court again on February 13.

Kenneth Cummins, wearing a purple striped shirt and dark jeans and Sabrina Cummins, in a blue denim jacket, black top and leggings, did not address the court during the brief hearing.

Previously, Garda Bryan Hunt told the court he arrested Kenneth Cummins at 2.58pm at Old Cabra Road on January 8 and brought him to Irishtown Garda Station. He was detained and made no reply to the charge after caution.

Dert Gda David Wogan said he arrested Sabrina Cummins at 2.49pm at Cabra Cross on January 8 and she also made no reply when charged at Donnybrook Garda Station.

Judge Walsh also previously directed that the siblings are to receive medical attention while they are in custody.

Mr Horan's body was found on the floor of his bedroom at around 4am on Monday, January 6. He had been living in the Cambridge Court flat for more than three years.

A post-mortem by State Pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy confirmed that he had died as a result of internal injuries.

Originally from Mullingar, Mr Horan married a woman from south Dublin in the late 1970s and they settled down in Ranelagh, near where he worked as a domestic servant at the Marist Fathers regional office in Milltown.

A family source said the couple were separated but had been still in regular contact.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News