Sunday 23 September 2018

Sex predator admits attacks on women he met on Tinder

'Monster' faces life in prison for 11-day rampage

Patrick Nevin, who yesterday pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape and sexual assault. Photo: Collins
Patrick Nevin, who yesterday pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape and sexual assault. Photo: Collins

Eimear Cotter

A serial sexual predator is facing up to life in prison after raping one woman and sexually assaulting two others he met on Tinder.

Patrick Nevin (36) carried out the three attacks in the space of 11 days in July 2014.

The sex attacks took place when Nevin, a computer programmer and former UCD student, had arranged to meet up with the women after first talking to them online.

In each case, Nevin picked the woman up in his car on a date and attacked them after driving to a secluded spot.

The father of two has been registered as a sex offender.

One of his victims, an English language student, previously told a trial that Nevin seemed "nice" and "friendly" when they connected on Tinder, but after arranging to meet for a coffee he turned into a "monster" before sexually assaulting her.

Nevin pleaded guilty before the Central Criminal Court yesterday to the rape of a woman at Bellewstown, Co Meath, on July 12, 2014.

A jury had been sworn in and the trial was due to begin, but Nevin changed his plea to guilty at the eleventh hour.

He further admitted to sexually assaulting a second woman at an unknown location in Co Meath on July 16, 2014.

He had been due to face trial on that charge in October.

The defendant, with a most recent address in Dún Laoghaire, south Dublin, was remanded in custody until the end of July for sentencing.

Defence barrister Patrick McGrath SC asked the court to order a report from a forensic psychiatrist for the sentence hearing.

Wearing a white Hollister T-shirt, dark blue jeans and black bomber jacket, Nevin stood in the dock when the charges were put to him.

He replied "guilty" to both counts when they were read out to him.

His father was in court to support him.

Offences

Nevin's guilty pleas mean he can now be identified as he has no further trials pending.

His guilty pleas followed a significant ruling by Judge Eileen Creedon on Monday to allow details of his other offences to be made known to the jury in the rape trial, which was due to take place this week.

The jury was told yesterday that no trial would now take place because Nevin had pleaded guilty.

Following his guilty pleas yesterday, Nevin can now be identified as the man found guilty before the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court last November of sexually assaulting a Brazilian student at the UCD campus at Belfield on July 23, 2014.

During the eight-day trial last November, the woman testified that she arranged to meet Nevin after communicating with him on Tinder and WhatsApp.

He picked her up in Dublin city centre and drove them to UCD, where he had studied for four years. She didn't know where she was.

She said he parked his car near a green area with trees and nobody around.

She started to feel scared because "we had said we are going for a coffee".

He turned the car engine off and she heard the car doors locking.

She said he became very aggressive.

"He was looking like a monster. He was calling me bad names and trying to touch me. I tried to take his hands away, and I couldn't.

"The only word I could say to him, 'stop, stop, I want my house, stop, stop,'" she said.

She said he didn't stop.

She said he put his hand on her knee and pulled her dress up to her thigh.

He held her arm and her breast was exposed.

During a struggle, she hit him with her elbow and he punched her head, she said.

She managed to unlock the car door and get out.

She said he drove off leaving her there and a dog walker helped her get a taxi home.

Nevin had denied the sexual assault, claiming the woman "freaked out" and "started crying" when he tried to kiss her.

He also told gardaí he believed they were "hooking up" for sex.

Nevin is due to be sentenced on July 26 for the Co Meath attacks. He is due to be sentenced before the courts on Friday on the UCD assault.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News