Monday 21 October 2019

Security guard accused of orchestrating 'inside job theft' of €59k from city car park, court told

Declan Brennan

THREE men have gone on trial accused of carrying out an armed raid on the cash office of a city centre car park.

Alan McCrea (37) is alleged to have being the “inside man” who orchestrated the Sunday morning robbery by Michael Donnelly (32) and Colin Moloney (36).

The raiders got away from the robbery with over €59,000. Later that same day an off duty garda spotted one man burning a bag in a field in Lucan, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard.

Mr McCrea of The Village, Porterstown, Blanchardstown, Mr Donnelly of Oranmore Road, Ballyfermot and Mr Moloney of Hillcrest Drive, Lucan have all pleaded not guilty to robbing €59,233 from Damien Kelly at Q car park, at the Royal College Surgeons, Mercer Street, Dublin on July 26, 2009 and to possession of a firearm or imitation firearm with intent to commit robbery at the same place and date.

On the first day of the trial, Tony McGillycuddy BL, prosecuting, told the jury they would hear evidence that Mr McCrea was working as a security man in the car park on the day and was orchestrating and organising the robbery by giving the raiders signals to enter the cash room.

He said Mr McCrea did not have a firearm himself but it is the State's case that he was involved in a joint enterprise with the two raiders.

He said the jury would be shown footage of two men walking around the St Stephen's Green car park and nearby streets and holding their hands up to their faces to avoid being seen.

He said at around nine am that day they followed Mr McCrea up to the fifth floor cash office using the stairs rather than the lift, which has CCTV cameras in it.

He said Mr McCrea stood outside the cash office in order to show them where it was. He described this as a sophisticated reconnaissance mission.

He said shortly after 11am Mr McCrea allegedly organised a cash run to be done by Q-park employee Yazid Ayadi. He said the car park pay boxes were emptied and the cash brought to the cash office.

Around this time two men in hooded jackets came into the car park and took the staircase to the cash office. The two raiders burst into the office and produced a gun or replica gun.

They punched and kicked Mr Ayadi and tied him and Mr McCrea up in the cash office. He said that after they left with the cash the alarm was raised.

Counsel said the jury would hear that later that day an off duty garda in Lucan saw a man burning a bag in a field. When the garda stopped and asked him what he was doing the man ran away.

Giving evidence Mr Ayadi told the court that when he opened the door of the cash office he saw two people running towards him. He said he tried to close the door but they overpowered him. He said he didn't see Mr McCrea.

He said he was put on the ground face down and had his hands tied behind his back and his legs bound with cable ties.

He agreed with Padraic Dwyer SC, defending Mr McCrea, that the men assaulted him in a vicious manner. He agreed that he told gardai later that he heard one raider punching Alan and shouting at him, “where is the money?”.

He agreed that he told gardai that Alan tried to stop the raiders assaulting him. “They were kicking me. I was on the floor. Alan told them to stop. The second guy started kicking Alan”.

Vincent Fuller, an employee of Group 4 in St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, said he came into the cash room after the robbery and saw blood pouring down Mr Ayadi's face. He said both men had their hands bound with cable ties.

The trial continues before Judge Martin Nolan and is set to last eight days.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News