Monday 22 January 2018

Schoolboy is charged with killing 17-year-old at party

Dovydas Jenkus (17)
Dovydas Jenkus (17)
Gardaí at the scene in Claremount Manor, Knock Road, Claremorris, Co Mayo. Photo: Keith Heneghan
Dovydas with his sister Agne

Caroline Crawford and Tom Shiel

Teenager promises not to leave the country and tells court: "I did a bad thing".

A teenage boy charged with the unlawful killing of another young man told a court he "did a bad thing".

The 16-year-old appeared in court yesterday in Castlebar, Co Mayo, charged with the unlawful killing of 17-year-old Dovydas Jenkus.

Dovydas, who was originally from Lithuania, was killed after a row at a house party in Claremorris early on Saturday morning.

The sister of the dead teen penned a tribute to her brother, saying there were "no words" to describe the pain and grief the family were feeling.

Yesterday afternoon, a 16-year-old schoolboy appeared before a special District Court sitting, where he was charged with the unlawful killing of Doyvdas.

He was accompanied by his mother to the 40-minute court hearing.

Applying for bail for his client, solicitor Evan O'Dwyer said the accused had co-operated with gardaí by answering all the questions put to him in "a frank and forthright way".

He had been in custody for 24 hours and had conducted five interviews.

The accused boy also gave evidence and told Judge Mary Devins he would not leave the country if he was granted bail, adding: "It would be the wrong thing to do, because I did a bad thing."

He agreed with his solicitor that "something horrible had happened", adding he was "very sorry for what happened".

The court heard the boy was a pupil in a secondary school and was described by teachers as well-mannered and an exceptional student - especially in metalwork and woodwork.

The boy's mother also gave evidence through an interpreter. She told the court she had been divorced from the boy's father for a number of years.

She said she trusted her son to stay in the country until the case was finished.


As Dovydas's parents and three siblings were being comforted at their Claremorris home yesterday, the victim's heartbroken sister Agne penned a note to her brother - accompanied by a photo of the pair in better times.

"There are no words to describe how we feel. You left us too soon. It's so hard to believe that we won't be able to see you again. Hope you are better there. You won't be forgotten by anyone... RIP," she wrote.

Dovydas, who was a fifth-year student at St Coleman's College in Claremorris, had lived in the town since 2012.

He had been at the party with friends when a row broke out among some of those who were gathered in the back garden.

In court yesterday, Detective Sergeant James Carroll gave evidence of arresting and charging the young boy. The teenager made no reply when the charge was read to him, the court heard.

Gardaí told the court they were objecting to an application for bail due to the seriousness of the charge.

Judge Mary Devins remanded him on bail, with a number of conditions, to appear at Ballina District Court tomorrow.

These include that he continues to reside with his mother and observe a 24-hour curfew until tomorrow's court sitting.

She ordered that he surrender his passport and gave gardaí the liberty to call to his house at any time to ensure he was still there.

Judge Devins said she would revisit the terms of the bail tomorrow - in particular, the question of a considerable cash lodgement by the accused's mother. Mr O'Dwyer indicated he was seeking legal aid on behalf of the accused.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News