Saturday 24 March 2018

Rugby player from New Zealand glassed trainee accountant during attack at Dublin hotel, court told

Dicey Reilly's
Dicey Reilly's

Tom Tuite

A RUGBY player from New Zealand, who left a trainee accountant's face scarred after a glass attack at a popular Dublin hotel bar, has been remanded on bail pending sentencing.

Tyron Davies (23), who has no fixed address in Ireland but is involved with a Kildare rugby club, pleaded guilty today to assault causing harm in connection with the attack at Dicey Reilly's Bar in the Russell Court Hotel on Harcourt St on November 12 last.

Judge John Cheatle heard at Dublin District Court that the victim, a man in his mid-twenties, was left with three scars on his face which he feared could affect his career and require plastic surgery.

Davies, who plans to return to New Zealand in March, brought a letter of apology and €200 to court for the victim. Judge Cheatle adjourned sentencing saying he wanted to consider the matter.

Garda James McHugh told the court that when he arrived the victim was in an ambulance receiving treatment to lacerations to his face. The court heard he had been involved in an altercation in the pub during which words were exchanged with Davies who was not known to him.

Judge Cheatle heard Davies struck the man in the face and he was “holding a glass at the time, the glass broke on impact which caused lacerations on his face”. Davies also had a cut to his hand as a result of the glass breaking.

The court heard Davies had drink taken and was co-operative at all stages following his arrest. Gda McHugh said the 23-year-old made admissions when he was interviewed. He said the man did not realise the seriousness of it at the time and he expressed remorse.

Gda McHugh agreed with defence solicitor Alice O'Reilly that when Davies came to his senses he was very shaken by his behaviour and was extremely emotional about his actions.

The garda also agreed that this incident had a huge effect on Davies who came to Ireland to do voluntary work in a Kildare rugby club. The defence solicitor said her client lived off his savings and was struggling to make ends meet. He had no prior criminal convictions here and just a minor one in New Zealand for a road traffic offence

She furnished the court with a letter from his employer and she said there was also a letter of apology as well as €200 for the man he attacked as a token of his remorse.

Judge Cheatle noted from a victim impact statement that the Davies left the man with three visible scars to his face: on his nose, under his eye and one on his cheek.

The trainee accountant was informed by a plastic surgeon that he would have to wait six months to establish if the scars will heal naturally or require an operation.

The scars under his eye and the under on his nose were clearing however the mark on his cheek not as lessened as much. The court heard the trainee accountant feared they would affect his work and his scars would not be very appealing to clients or employers.

He also missed a couple of days of work as a result of the attack and agreed he will be taking a civil action.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News