Romanian man remanded on charges of raping two women in Dublin
A ROMANIAN man has been charged with raping two women on the same date in a flat in Dublin city-centre last year.
The man, who is in his forties, appeared at Dublin District Court yesterday (WED) accused of raping a woman twice, and another woman once, on a date in April 2011.
Judge Grainne Malone was told that there was no objection to bail provided the man, who has been living in Ireland for several years, surrendered his passport.
The court heard that the unemployed man had been questioned a year ago and had been then found in possession of another passport, which defence solicitor Cahir O'Higgins said was denied by the man.
Mr O'Higgins said his client had agreed to surrender his passport and to sign on daily at his local garda station. He asked the judge not to require an independent surety saying the man had made no attempt to flee the country since he was first questioned a year ago.
Judge Malone was told that the DPP has directed that the man is to face trial on indictment and six weeks was needed to complete a book of evidence in the case.
He was remanded in custody with consent to bail to appear again at Cloverhill District Court on June 6.
Judge Malone said that given the seriousness of the charges, the man could take up the bail if he lodged €2,500 in his own bond, and have an independent surety approved in the sum of €7,500, of which €2,500 must also be lodged.
She also said that if he takes up the bail he will have to sign on twice daily at his nearest garda station.