| 14.8°C Dublin

Remand for teenager accused of stealing 90-year-old man’s car

A TEENAGE boy accused of stealing a 90-year-old man's car is to stay in custody for another four weeks while further charges are being considered.

The 17-year-old boy had been refused bail at the Dublin Children's Court on October 26 after he was charged over the motor theft which allegedly occurred five days previously.

He is accused of stealing the elderly man's car at Red Arch Road Baldoyle, in north Co. Dublin, on October 21. He also faces related charges for failing to stop for gardai, driving without a licence or insurance and driving dangerously while speeding.

At his first court appearance the teenager had wept and told the court he would kill himself if he were held in custody. However, he was refused bail and was remanded in custody to St Patrick's Institution.

The court had heard that there was not stability in the boy's family and his mother was not always around leaving him to “fend for himself”.

The juvenile court had also heard that directions from the DPP were being sought in relation to bringing “more serious charges” against the boy.

The teenager appeared again today where the court was told that the boy had previously declined help offered to him by the HSE.

He was further remanded in custody by Judge Ann Ryan and his next hearing will take place on November 30.