Tuesday 24 October 2017

Redmond action has run out of time, court told

Tim Healy

A HIGH Court action by former assistant Dublin city and county manager George Redmond over planning tribunal findings against him, should be dismissed because of a delay of six years in prosecuting his case, a judge was told yesterday.

Following the findings of the third interim report of the then Flood Tribunal against Mr Redmond in 2004, he issued his High Court proceedings in 2005.

Mr Redmond, now 88, sought to quash the findings that he had received corrupt payments in relation to planning matters and had obstructed the tribunal.

He claimed his constitutional rights had been breached, sought damages and also challenged the tribunal's order that he should pay legal costs associated with the tribunal.

Yesterday, Mr Justice Paul Gilligan was told the tribunal was seeking to have Mr Redmond's action dismissed for want of prosecution. Mr Redmond opposed the application.

The court heard Mr Redmond was sentenced to 12 months' imprisonment in 2003 by a majority jury verdict but this was overturned as unsafe on appeal and he was released six months later.

Opening the case for the tribunal yesterday, Patricia Dillon said Mr Redmond had delayed for several years in progressing his action since it started in 2005.

The only explanation given for the delay was he was awaiting a Supreme Court decision in relation to a separate tribunal matter involving Joseph Murphy Structural Engineering, which was delivered in April 2010.

Ms Dillon said that that claim was not reasonable.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News