Thursday 23 November 2017

Rapist jailed for seven years 'too shy' to apologise to victim

Conor Gallagher and Breda Heffernan

A RAPIST who carried out a brutal five-hour attack on his ex-girlfriend, during which he hacked off her hair with a scissors, is "too shy" to apologise to his victim.

The 53-year-old Cork man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was sentenced to 10 years, with the final three suspended on condition he takes part in a sex offenders' programme while in prison.

His defence counsel, Blaise O'Carroll, said the man was "very much in love" with the victim and was "absolutely shattered and destroyed" when the relationship ended.

He said his client wanted to apologise to the victim but was too shy to do it himself.

The man used a hatchet to break into his ex-girlfriend's house in the middle of the night before subjecting her to a vicious five-hour ordeal, during which he repeatedly raped her and threatened to kill her by driving them both off a pier into the sea. The Central Criminal Court heard that at one stage he made her perform oral sex on him, which he said she wasn't doing right.

He then grabbed a scissors and began to cut off her hair and told her he would continue cutting her hair until she did it correctly.

Reacting to the rapist's claim that he loved the victim, the Rape Crisis Network Ireland said such a violent and aggressive sexual assault was no way of expressing love.

"Sexual offenders often try to justify their actions but that does not mean we have to in any way collude with that," said spokeswoman Cliona Sadler.


The man initially denied the attack but later pleaded guilty to rape at the woman's Cork home in the early hours of August 9, 2012.

The court heard he had been in a relationship with the mother-of-two but that she broke up with him because he was too possessive. She tried to cut all contact with him and refused to answer his repeated phone calls.

Several weeks after the break-up the woman was in bed when, at about 2.30am, she heard the sound of glass smashing.

The man had found a hatchet in the garden and used it to break the patio door window. He was also armed with a knife.

He entered her bedroom and was loud, aggressive and drunk.

He shouted at her: "You wouldn't talk to me so I've come to talk to you."

Over the next five hours he raped her multiple times and, as he began to sober up, he threatened to kill the woman telling her: "I know I'm going to do time for this, I have nothing else to lose . . . I might as well kill myself and you."

At about 7.30am she made him a cup of tea to calm him down. He then left and the woman called gardai.

In a brief victim impact report, the woman outlined the effect the attack had on her and said she couldn't leave the house for five weeks. She has since moved away.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News