Monday 19 March 2018

Rapist attacked two women in front of children

Rapist Trevor Lawlor was given a life sentence. Photo credit: Greater Manchester Police/PA Wire
Rapist Trevor Lawlor was given a life sentence. Photo credit: Greater Manchester Police/PA Wire

Kim Pilling

A depraved sex offender who attacked two women in their homes in front of their children in Manchester had previously been jailed in Ireland for a near-identical offence.

Trevor Lawlor (32) raped one of his victims in view of her toddler son and was only prevented from raping the other woman when her boyfriend unexpectedly returned to the house.

Manchester Crown Court heard Lawlor raped a woman in Ireland in 2002 in "chillingly similar circumstances" when he forced his way into her home.

Formerly of Blanchardstown, Dublin, Lawlor committed this earlier rape aged 18 after he said he drank more than 15 cans of alcohol. When he was arrested, he told gardaí: "I didn't know what came over me, I am not like that."

Yesterday in the English court, Judge Hilary Manley told him: "I am convinced that you have a hatred for women and a need to use, degrade and humiliate them. Put simply, I am wholly satisfied you pose a dangerous and substantial risk to the public, particularly women and children."

The court heard how in the early hours of July 10 last year, Lawlor entered an address in Newton Heath, Manchester, uninvited, and awoke his victim while she was in bed lying next to her young son.

He threatened to slit the woman's throat if either made a noise. Following a struggle, Lawlor fled the scene only in his underwear and T-shirt and knocked on the door of a woman who lived nearby.

The woman, known to Lawlor, let him in after he claimed he was being kidnapped.

Justin Hayhoe, prosecuting, said her charity was repaid in a "shocking manner" with a violent assault while her toddler son was in her arms.

The woman eventually feigned unconsciousness, as she believed she was going to be killed.

She escaped her home to alert a neighbour, who only recognised her by her voice.

The baby was also blood-soaked and appeared to be traumatised and "in a daze".

Judge Manley told Lawlor he had "stolen the innocence" of his first victim's son, who witnessed the entire episode, while "only time will tell" what psychological impact had been caused to the baby.

Lawlor, of Failsworth, was arrested in Manchester later on the day of the attacks and made no comment to detectives.

He went on to plead guilty at earlier hearings to rape, attempted rape, assault by penetration, wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, trespass with intent to commit a sexual offence and making a threat to kill.

Lawlor was given a life term for the rape and concurrent sentences for the other offences.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News