Sunday 17 December 2017

Rapist asks to be put in prison as he cannot cope

Convicted rapist Trevor Byrne
Convicted rapist Trevor Byrne

Conor Gallagher

A convicted rapist asked to be put back into prison because he believes he cannot abide by the conditions of his release.

Trevor Byrne was sentenced to eight years with two suspended in 2011 for attempting to rob a young woman, 14 hours after being released from a 15-year prison sentence for rape.

Byrne (32), with a former address of O' Devaney Gardens, Dublin, pleaded guilty to the attempted robbery of Noemie Krey, at Leo Street, Dublin 7 on September 15, 2009. He also pleaded guilty to two counts of burglary at the same address.

Since his release last March, Byrne has been returned to court on numerous occasions accused of breaching the terms of his suspended sentence.

He was jailed for a six month period in April after he was caught with six cans of cider.

He had also telephoned the Central Mental Hospital and told a nurse that he felt like he was out of control and that he "might hack somebody up".

He was brought before court by the Probation Services yesterday for not staying in contact. Senior Probation Officer Pauline Dowley told prosecuting counsel James Dwyer BL that she had reached "crisis point" with Byrne as he repeatedly disappeared.

She said that in January there were four separate occasions when he travelled to Belfast and switched off his phone. He was located there by the PSNI.

The officer said that last week Byrne was found in the south of the country having not told the Probation Services where he was going.

Byrne represented himself at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court yesterday. He said he had fired his legal team because "they're failing to comply with the instructions that I'm giving them". He went on to tell Judge Patricia Ryan that he was not contesting the Probation Service's application to revoke the suspended portion of his sentence and said that he wanted to go back into prison.

"The more I try, the more I make things worse," he said. He added he couldn't be contacted because he had no phone.

"I didn't agree to my life being controlled 24/7," Byrne said. "I'm entitled to take a few days out of my life to get my head together. Every time I do better I seem to make things worse."

Judge Patricia Ryan agreed to revoke his suspended sentence but gave credit for the six months he spent in prison last year. Byrne shouted as he was led away by prison officers.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News