Polish man sexually assaulted six women on capital's buses
A POLISH man who sexually assaulted six women on various Dublin buses is to be sentenced in June.
Piotr Rownicki (34), of Seagrove Close, Finglas, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to seven charges of sexual assault on dates between January 2007 and May 3, 2011.
He assaulted one girl twice on two different buses.
The court heard Rownicki had no previous convictions at the time. He came to Ireland in October 2006.
Judge Martin Nolan heard evidence in March of sexual assaults of four women and heard evidence of two additional victims yesterday.
He adjourned sentencing until June because he said he needed time to think about the case. Rownicki was remanded on continuing bail.
Each victim reported that Rownicki sat very close to them and they found it difficult to get out of their seat because he had them squashed in.
They each told gardai they were in shock and frightened by the incidents.
Rownicki sat down beside his victim when there were other empty seats available, put the jacket over his knees, masturbated and touched the women's legs.
Garda Joanne McCormack told Gerardine Small, prosecuting, that Rownicki was arrested in May 2011 after he sat down on the 37 bus beside one girl he had previously sexually assaulted. The girl immediately recognised Rownicki and alerted gardai.
Rownicki was arrested a short time later after CCTV footage was obtained from the bus. Gda McCormack said when Rownicki was interviewed in May 2011 he initially denied any wrongdoing but then claimed he touched the girls accidentally.
He later accepted he had touched them out of amusement and for sexual release and said he was thinking of his ex-girlfriends at the time.
Six victim impact reports were handed in to the court but were not read out.