Tuesday 23 January 2018

Plumber charged with manslaughter over death of hotel guest from gas poisoning

Miriam Reidy
Miriam Reidy
Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

A PLUMBER has been charged with manslaughter in relation to the death of a woman from acute carbon-monoxide poisoning in the bedroom of a well-known hotel.

Richard Davis (45), of Ballyygarvan, Co Cork, who operates a plumbing firm, was charged with manslaughter over the death of Miriam Reidy (35).

She was discovered unconscious in the Trident Hotel in Kinsale, Co Cork, on January 9 2011. He was also charged with two breaches of the Health and Safety Act before Macroom District Court.

Mr Davis did not comment during yesterday's brief hearing. Ms Reidy, pictured, a Tralee-based bank worker originally from Ballyhahill, Co Limerick, was in Kinsale to attend a hen party for a cousin that weekend.

A Cork coroner's inquest into her death heard that, when she was discovered in Room 113, she had a 57pc blood saturation rate for carbon-monoxide, far into the fatal range which extends from 40pc-50pc.

She died shortly after being discovered lying unconscious in the bedroom.

Ms Reidy was discovered in the bedroom alongside her sister, Patricia (37), after fellow party-goers became concerned about the welfare of the two sisters after they failed to arrive down for breakfast as planned.

Gardai indicated that they had no objection to Mr Davis being remanded on bail. Judge James McNulty remanded Mr Davis to appear again before Kinsale District Court on September 19.

The case will be referred to Cork Circuit Criminal Court.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News