Monday 25 June 2018

Pedestrian (53) killed on road weeks after driving ban

Stock picture: Getty
Stock picture: Getty
Allison Bray

Allison Bray

A man who vowed he would never own a car again following a recent drink driving conviction was killed when he was struck by a vehicle while walking along a busy road.

Terry McGowan (53) of Tully Hill, Rathcormack, Co Sligo, was hit by a car shortly after 11pm as he was walking along the main Sligo to Donegal Road on the N15 on Wednesday night.

The accident occurred near the townland of Lisnalurg outside Sligo town.

Mr McGowan was rushed to the University Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Investigations are ongoing and gardaí are appealing for any witnesses to contact Sligo Garda Station on 071-915 7000, the garda confidential line on 1800 666 111 or any garda station.

The accident happened just weeks after Mr McGowan appeared at Sligo District Court where he told Judge Kevin Kilrane that he would never own a car again after he was disqualified from driving for five years.

Judge Kilrane also fined him €200 for drink driving after he was found to have what the judge termed "a shocking" amount of alcohol in his system when he was arrested on Stephen Street in Sligo on November 25, 2016.


He was also disqualified from driving at the hearing in February for five years and fined €100 for having no driving licence or insurance.

After admitting he'd "had a good drop" on the day in question, Mr McGowan told the court he no longer had a car and had no intention of owning one again following the incident.

He had no other previous convictions.

Local Independent councillor Marie Casserly said Mr McGowan's death was very sad. "We send our sympathies to his family," she said.

Meanwhile, seven people, including a bus driver, suffered minor injuries following a bizarre spate of bus accidents in Dublin yesterday.

Six people were injured when two Dublin buses - Route 39 and Route 70 - collided shortly after 9am on Ormand Quay.

They were taken to hospital and treated for minor injuries.

An Airlink bus and a private coach collided 45 minutes later outside Busáras, causing the Airlink driver minor injuries.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News