| 13.2°C Dublin

Partner: life with Bailey was 'not a bed of roses'

Close

Jules Thomas and Ian Bailey, pictured arriving at the Four Courts

Jules Thomas and Ian Bailey, pictured arriving at the Four Courts

Collins

Jules Thomas and Ian Bailey, pictured arriving at the Four Courts

The partner of journalist Ian Bailey has agreed that life with Mr Bailey was "not a bed of roses" and said that "there is no excuse for violence".

Artist Jules Thomas has told the High Court that "an attack happened on me" in 1993 after a lot of whiskey had been consumed. The attacker was Mr Bailey who pushed her hard against a wall, leaving her with "very painful" injuries.

Ms Thomas said that she did not think that Mr Bailey knew what he was doing, adding: "That is not an excuse, there is no excuse for violence".

"I was pretty disgusted with the behaviour really, it was appalling," said Ms Thomas.

She said that Mr Bailey was "very remorseful" over the attack and that she forgave him over a period of time.

Ms Thomas also told the High Court of a second "alcohol fuelled" assault carried out by Mr Bailey against her in May 1996. "It was very bad," said Ms Thomas, who confirmed that she experienced hair loss and facial injuries during the second assault.

On this occasion, she attended an Accident and Emergency unit and was there until the following morning when she returned to the home they shared.

"It is hard to put into words, really, it was awful," an emotional Ms Thomas told barrister Jim Duggan of her return home and subsequent reunion with Mr Bailey.

There was another incident in 2001, the High Court heard, when Mr Bailey - whose leg was then in plaster following an operation - swung his leg over Ms Thomas's face who had asked him to move to another room.

"He was outraged at being disturbed so he hit me with his crutches," said Ms Thomas, who said Mr Bailey was on strong painkillers and had drunk some wine, adding that this too was "no excuse".

Ms Thomas sought assistance after the 2001 incident by phoning a friend, Sue Hill, who in turn called the gardai. "I was just so shocked and horrified I just wanted to get out of the house really," said Ms Thomas who was brought to her friends house by gardai after the assault.

Ms Thomas said that although the assaults were a "bad memory", she had forgiven Mr Bailey. "It is kind of unforgivable, but I do believe there is good in everyone," she said.

Ms Thomas began her evidence last Friday. She agreed with her counsel she was arrested on February 10, 1997, for murder and said she was not asked any questions how she did it.

The Garda Commissioner and the State deny Mr Bailey's claims for wrongful arrest and conspiracy arising from the conduct of the Garda investigation into the murder of French film-maker Sophie Toscan du Plantier, whose body was found in Schull, Cork on December 23, 1996.

Mr Bailey has always denied any involvement in her death.

The case continues before Mr Justice John Hedigan.

Irish Independent