Monday 23 July 2018

Parents of baby who died days after birth still await answers

The Dublin Coroner's Court
The Dublin Coroner's Court

Louise Roseingrave

The parents of a baby who died six days after birth have said they are still waiting for answers from the HSE.

Baby Kevin James Kelly was born by Caesarean section after a failed forceps delivery at Midlands Regional Hospital on August 16, 2014.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard that he died of brain damage due to lack of oxygen which happened around the time of birth. Coroner Dr Brian Farrell returned a verdict of death by medical misadventure at an inquest into the baby's death.

Parents Una and Kevin Kelly said they felt vindicated by the outcome.

"However, we are still waiting for the HSE to give us answers, we have been waiting since 2014. That continues to prolong our agony and our pain," they said, speaking after the inquest.

Baby Kevin was the Kelly's first born. The couple have since had another child, a five-month-old son who they say has "saved them".

Una Kelly was admitted to Midlands Regional Hospital on August 13, 2014 with pre- eclampsia.

On August 16, labour was induced but a lack of progress was noted during an examination at 7.05pm.

Locum Registrar Dr Michael Osasere made a decision to apply the Neville Barnes forceps which he said "applied comfortably and locked with ease" but the procedure was abandoned at 7.12pm.

Dr Osasere said he was not aware of a developing foetal bradycardia as the babies heart rate fell rapidly between 7.15 and 7.20pm.

The court heard that mother and baby were brought to theatre for a C-section as category 2 patients, but Dr Osasere said had he known of the babies falling heart rate he would have acted immediately to deliver the baby "within 10 minutes".

Midwife Agnes Gowning said she told Dr Osasere of the baby's falling heart rate and asked him if he had heard her. "I did not hear her say that," he said. He said had he known, he would have immediately upgraded the delivery to a category 1 priority.

"That is very distressing. It still haunts me today. I kept thinking what I might have done to avoid that outcome. It's been a nightmare," Dr Osasere said.

The baby was transferred to Holles St seven hours after birth for cooling treatment but his condition did not change and he passed away on August 22 surrounded by his family.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News