Wednesday 21 February 2018

Pair jailed for life after knifing man to death at house party

Stock photo
Stock photo

Eoin Reynolds

Two men were sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of murdering a man at a house party that descended into violence.

Dylan Hayes (22), of The Crescent, Kilteragh, Dooradoyle, Co Limerick, was found guilty of the murder of Shane Murphy at The Grove, Pallasgreen, Co Limerick, on April 30, 2015, by unanimous verdict.

Ger Hogan (34), of Raheen Square, Ballinacurra Weston, also Co Limerick, was found guilty of the same offence by a 10-2 majority.

Mr Murphy's family hugged and cried once the verdicts were revealed and the deceased's sister, Tracey Murphy, told the court: "We are doing a life sentence ever since Shane was cruelly taken away from us."

She said Shane, the "baby brother", was the youngest of eight kids and a happy-go-lucky boy who grew up to be a loving and caring uncle to his many nieces and nephews.

"He was always laughing and joking," she said.

Justice Patrick McCarthy imposed the mandatory life sentence on Hogan and Hayes.

During the 12-day trial the court heard that a group of people, including Ger Hogan and Shane Murphy, were drinking at a house in Pallasgreen on April 30, 2015.

The house belonged to Sharon Kelly, the girlfriend of the deceased, who was the only one who was not drinking. Also there were Ailish Flood and Jodie Byrnes.

Hayes had a relationship with Jodie Byrnes for some years and even after they split up the previous year they had remained in contact.

On the day Shane died, Ms Byrnes phoned Dylan Hayes and told him that a man had tried to rape her in the house in Pallasgreen. She told him that she woke up with the man, named only as Wayne in the trial, beside her in bed and her trousers around her knees.

When Hayes arrived at Pallasgreen he was angry. He told Jodie he was going to get the "rapist bastard" but Sharon Kelly told the trial that she didn't believe Jodie Byrnes's claim and she told Hayes that Jodie was lying. Hayes confronted Shane Murphy, asking him: "Did you call me a junkie?" Hayes believed that Shane had been talking about him earlier that week.

Hayes told gardaí that Murphy responded: "Yeah, I did. What are you going to do about it?" It was at this point, according to Hayes's statements to gardaí, that he went to the kitchen, grabbed a knife and came back to the sitting room where he began stabbing Shane Murphy repeatedly in the chest, stomach, arms and legs.

Deputy State Pathologist Dr Linda Mulligan said one of the stab wounds pierced Shane's heart while others had damaged both lungs and the liver.

The prosecution case in relation to Ger Hogan was that he was involved in a joint enterprise with Hayes to murder Mr Murphy.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News