Friday 17 November 2017

Pair deny garden shears murder of teenage boy

Danny McAnaspie
Danny McAnaspie
Richard Dekker one of the accused men

Nicola Donnelly

THE trial of two Dublin men accused of murdering teenager Daniel McAnespie, who was in the care of the State when he died three years ago, has heard that each accused blames the other for killing him.

Richard Dekker (27) and Trevor Noone (25), both of Whitestown Avenue, Blanchardstown, have each pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to the murder of Daniel McAnespie (17) at Tolka Valley Park, Blanchardstown, on February 26, 2010.

Brendan Grehan, SC, prosecuting, told the jury it was the prosecution's case that both men were involved in the stabbing with one half of a garden shears, inflicting injuries described as "penetrating and perforating sharp force trauma to the heart, lungs, stomach and throat areas".

He said both accused admitted they were present when the teenager met his death, and each effectively said the other did it. Each also told gardai they were "just bystanders".

Mr Grehan said the jury would hear evidence that Daniel was last seen alive on February 26, 2010, at Whitestown Avenue in the company of the two accused.

He said he was in the care of the HSE at Larch Cottage in Donabate as his parents were dead, and arrangements were made with his carers to allow him to meet friends in Finglas for the day on February 25.

"He was to meet his carers at 10pm to go back to the house he was staying at but he didn't keep the appointment," said Mr Grehan.

Counsel told the jury there would be evidence from friends of Daniel's that they tried to persuade him to go to one of their houses at around 4am, but he wanted to stay out with Mr Dekker and Mr Noone.


"That was the last sighting of Daniel alive," said Mr Grehan.

He said a missing persons investigation was launched, and during the course of it both accused were interviewed and both told gardai that the last time they saw Daniel was when he was walking away from them on the night.

Mr Grehan said there would be garda evidence that Mr Noone told gardai it was Mr Dekker who stabbed Daniel with half a garden shears at Tolka Valley, and that he told gardai Mr Dekker was laughing as he stabbed Daniel, who begged: "Sorry, give me another chance."

Counsel said Mr Noone described to gardai moving Daniel's body in a suitcase from the Tolka Valley Park area after he was stabbed.

He also told gardai he was under the impression Mr Dekker was going to give Daniel a couple of slaps, but then said Mr Dekker told him he was going to stab Daniel because of an earlier altercation between Daniel and Mr Noone.

Counsel said the jury would hear Mr Dekker told gardai he was "simply there as a bystander" when Mr Noone stabbed Daniel.

He told gardai Mr Noone wanted to give Daniel a hiding over fighting with his cousin or uncle.

Mr Grehan said Mr Dekker told gardai Mr Noone got a garden shears from the former's garden.

Farmer David Mortem said he found decomposed human remains on his land at Rathfeigh, Co Meath, on May 13, 2010. He said he thought the remains was a sheep carcass.

Following dental and DNA examinations, it was discovered it was Daniel McAnespie.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Paul Butler.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News