Monday 19 March 2018

Overdose error claim is settled

Tim Healy

A MAN who claimed he suffered a brain injury after he was mistakenly given an overdose of a morphine-type drug in hospital has settled his High Court action for damages.

Builder Denis Myers (67) was given "a massive overdose" of the painkilling drug in error by a nurse who thought she was cleaning out a tube inserted into Mr Myers, the court heard.

He was recovering from major cancer surgery at St James's in Dublin at the time.

Mr Myers received what should have been a lethal overdose of the drug but survived.

Mr Myers of Conigar, Askeaton, Co Limerick, has sued St James's for alleged negligence as a result of the overdose on March 18, 2010. He claimed he now suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and has frequent distressing recollections.

The hospital admitted to the incident – but disputed that the overdose caused the injuries claimed. Yesterday, following talks, Mr Justice Daniel Herbert was told the case had come to an end and could be struck out.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News