Saturday 24 August 2019

Nurse settles case over aerosol shampoo 'flamethrower' in club

Case: Sam Clarke Kavanagh suffered burns to her right hand and face. Photo: Collins Courts
Case: Sam Clarke Kavanagh suffered burns to her right hand and face. Photo: Collins Courts

Tim Healy

A nurse who sued after she claimed an aerosol dry shampoo turned into a "flamethrower" when she sprayed it in a nightclub toilets has settled her High Court action.

Sam Clarke Kavanagh (27) said the flames hit her hair and she had to throw the aerosol down the toilet where flames continued to be emitted from the can.

The nurse, of Sandymount Road, Sandymount, Dublin, sued Hilda and Jon Conway, Claremont Road, Sandymount, Dublin - who were the owners at the time of the Bronze bar and nightclub in Lower Baggot Street, Dublin - over the incident on December 4, 2015.

She suffered burns to her right hand and face and singed her hair, eyelashes and eyebrows.

The aerosol of dry shampoo was one of a number of toiletries in a box in the club bathroom, she said.

Ms Kavanagh claimed a naked flame candle was in the area and the aerosol spray ignited.

The owners at the time of the Bronze bar and nightclub claimed the aerosol dry shampoo was not supplied by them.

They said it could have been left there by another patron.

The bar and nightclub has changed ownership since the incident, the court was told.

On the second day of the action, Ms Kavanagh's counsel Ivan Daly BL told the court the case had been compromised for an agreed sum of damages and costs.

He asked the court to note there was no claim for loss of earnings.

Mr Justice David Keane said he was glad the case was resolved and he wished both sides well for the future.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News