Sunday 25 March 2018

Nurse convicted of stabbing three people during street row

Psychiatric nurse Brian Quinn. Collins
Psychiatric nurse Brian Quinn. Collins

Jessica Magee and  Sonya McLean

A PSYCHIATRIC nurse has been convicted of stabbing three people after a row with his neighbours following an 18th birthday party.

Brian Quinn (46) had denied allegations of harming six men, relating to an incident on October 9, 2011.

Quinn, formerly of Deer Park Avenue, Kiltipper, Tallaght, now living in Balbriggan, had pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Stephen Keogh, Lee Harte and James Toner Senior.

He had further pleaded not guilty to assault causing harm to Kurtis Lennon, James Toner Junior and Robert Ryan and production of a knife on the same date.

The jury of two women and nine men yesterday convicted him on the charge of seriously assaulting Mr Harte and assaulting Mr Lennon and Mr Toner Junior causing them harm. He was also convicted of production of a knife.

Quinn was acquitted of the remaining charges. The jury, which lost one member yesterday due to a family matter, had deliberated for seven and half hours on day 11 of the trial before returning the verdicts.

Quinn, who didn't react to the verdicts, was remanded in custody until next week, when a date will be set for sentence.

The court earlier heard that the stabbings took place after an altercation outside two neighbouring houses escalated from "handbag stuff" into physical aggression.

During the trial, the court heard medical evidence that Mr Harte had a blood transfusion after doctors discovered he had a collapsed lung and part of his bowel coming out from an abdomen wound.


Quinn told gardai during interview that on the night of the incident, he saw a "sea of faces" pushing in to his house and his partner, Gabrielle Keegan, being attacked by some men at the door.

He said he had grabbed a "pen or corkscrew" from his pocket and fought his way out of his house to come to his partner's aid, but that he was "not sure what happened next".

Quinn said he was struck on the head with a baseball bat and pulled through his hallway by about eight or nine people. He said he then saw two young lads kicking his partner.

Paul Carroll BL, prosecuting, said: "It would be a giant leap to say it was all self-defence."

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News