Thursday 12 December 2019

No DNA found on bullet sent to garda

Julie Conway Browning (49) of Dermot O'Dwyer House, Hardwicke Street at Dublin District Court
Julie Conway Browning (49) of Dermot O'Dwyer House, Hardwicke Street at Dublin District Court

Tom Tuite

PHONE records show a woman was in contact with a detective garda when she allegedly posted a Valentine card containing a G-string and a bullet to one of his colleagues, a court has heard.

Julie Conway Browning (inset) from Dermot O'Dwyer House, Hardwicke Street, Dublin, has pleaded not guilty to giving information she knew to be false or misleading to the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC).

It was the second day of her trial at Dublin District Court which has heard claims of bullying and harassment in the serious crime team, a section of the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI), based in Harcourt Square in the capital.

Judge Bryan Smyth has heard evidence that a complaint had been made to GSOC on August 14, 2011, from the wife of Det Sergeant Michael Buckley of the serious crime review team.

She told GSOC her husband has been subjected to "harassment and bullying" by two named colleagues including a Det-Gda David O'Brien.

She alleged that in February 2011, her husband "received an envelope in the post, it contained a Valentine card".

Inside the card was poem of a "graphic sexual nature" as well as a "black and red G-string and a .22 calibre bullet".

Mrs Buckley told GSOC that she feared for her family's safety.

When questioned by a GSOC investigator, both Ms Conway Browning, who had been identified as the sender, and Det Gda O'Brien stated they had not seen each other since the 1990s.

However, the court heard communication data showed there had been contact between their mobile phones on 291 occasions, including texts and calls between February and March of that year.

Ms Conway Browning agreed she had sent the poem and the G-string for a laugh but denied putting a bullet in the envelope. No DNA traces or fingerprints were found on the bullet.

The defence is seeking to have the case thrown out, claiming a complaint was received by GSOC too late.

The case was adjourned for four weeks when a ruling will be made as to whether or not the trial will continue.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News