Sunday 21 January 2018

New court date in German student murder case

TomTuite

THE State has been allowed another six weeks to complete a book of evidence for the trial of two youths accused of the murder of German student Thomas Heinrich, who died following a stabbing in Dublin last year.

Mr Heinrich, a 22-year-old post-graduate degree student from Munich, was stabbed in the stomach during an incident outside his apartment at St Anthony's Road, Rialto, in Dublin's south inner city on December 1.

His friend Robert Rinker (22), also a student from Germany, suffered life-threatening injuries and was in intensive care for two days.

In May, a 16-year-old schoolboy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, and Wesley Kelly (19), of St Anthony's Road, Rialto, Dublin, were charged at the Dublin Children's Court with the murder of Mr Heinrich and assault causing serious harm to Mr Rinker.

Both offences, on conviction, can carry life sentences.

Mr Kelly made no reply when the charges were put to him, while his co-accused responded with "no comment", Det Sgt Michael McNulty and Det Sgt Michael O'Brien had said at the first hearing for both accused on May 29 last.

Within a week the pair were released from a remand in custody after members of their families stood €3,000 bail.

Yesterday, they appeared again at the juvenile court where Judge John O'Connor heard that the book of evidence in the case was not yet ready.

A state solicitor said that a six-week adjournment was needed and explained that "there are 97 statements, technical evidence and CCTV evidence is being examined".

The youths, who were accompanied to court by family members, were remanded on continuing bail to appear again in September.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News