Saturday 17 March 2018

New charges over pepper-spray attack on theatre audience

Tom Tuite

FOUR extra charges have been brought against a man facing prosecution for a pepper-spray attack on audience members during a children's show at a Dublin theatre.

Around 150 people were evacuated from the Tivoli Theatre on April 27 last and four people were treated for injuries, but were not hospitalised, after the chemical was sprayed.

Children – some as young as six – were on stage when the alleged incident occurred at the venue on Francis Street.

The young performers were in the Spotlight Kids, a group of 72 young people from Inchicore, in Dublin.

They had staged a variety show – 'Fantasy Street' – at the Tivoli for two nights as part of celebrations of the 10th anniversary of their stage school.

The group members, aged six to 18, all had to stand around outside in the car park wearing only their costumes. After 15 minutes, they were allowed into the backstage section and their show resumed an hour later.

On May 22, Shane Carey appeared at Dublin District Court charged under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act with having a canister of Dragon pepper spray, made for causing injury to or incapacitating a person, at the Tivoli Theatre on April 27 last.

Mr Carey (29), from Woodview Heights, Lucan, Dublin, who is in receipt of a disability allowance, made his second court appearance yesterday.

Garda Richard Mostyn told Judge Marie Quirke that Mr Carey "made no reply" when four additional charges were put to him yesterday in connection with the incident. On this set of charges, he is accused of assaulting two males and two females at the theatre.

Defence solicitor Yvonne Bambury said that she had already received copies of the prosecution's evidence but further statements had yet to be handed over in relation to the new charges.


Mr Carey's 28-year-old girlfriend, Jenna Lawlor, who has the same address, also appeared in court yesterday. She has been charged with being intoxicated in public, using threatening and abusive behaviour, and failing to comply with a garda direction at the theatre on the same date.

The pair did not address the court during the hearing yesterday and were remanded on bail to appear again in two weeks, when they will be expected to enter pleas to their charges.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News