New charges for man accused of wielding slash-hook
A FRESH prosecution has been brought in connection with a lunch-hour incident at a primary school earlier this year where a man is alleged to have produced a slash-hook in a school playground.
At Ennis District Court, Conor Mahon (21), of Ballaghboy halting site, Quin Road, Ennis, Co Clare, faced two charges including violent disorder and possession of a slash-hook at the Holy Family school on March 20.
The alleged incident occurred while parents were picking up their children from school.
In June, Judge Patrick Durcan struck out original charges against Mr Mahon and two others over the prosecutor's failure to provide directions after a number of adjournments.
At the time, Judge Durcan said that striking out the charges "didn't prevent the State from coming again".
In court yesterday, the State brought two fresh charges against Mr Mahon and he was charged with committing violent disorder and with producing a slash-hook.
Insp Tom Kennedy said that the DPP has instructed that the case proceed on indictment to Ennis Circuit Court.
Judge Durcan granted legal aid in the case and remanded the accused on bail to re-appear in court on November 14.