Murder rap schoolboy takes up bail a day before Leaving Cert
A 16-YEAR-OLD schoolboy charged with the murder of German student Thomas Heinrich has been released on bail a day before his Leaving Certificate exams begin.
The 22-year-old post-graduate degree student from Munich was stabbed in his stomach and suffered a severed artery during an incident outside his apartment at St Anthony's Road, Rialto in Dublin's south inner city on December 1 last.
His friend Robert Rinker (22), a fellow student from Germany, also suffered life threatening injuries and was in intensive care for two days.
Last week, the 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named and Wesley Kelly (19), of St Anthony's Road, Rialto, Dublin, were remanded in custody. They had been charged at the Dublin Children's Court with the murder of Mr Heinrich at St Anthony's Road, Rialto, on December 1, and assault causing serious harm to Mr Rinker at the same location.
Today after the High Court agreed to set bail terms for the 16-year-old, he appeared again at the Children's Court.
Judge John O'Connor noted that the teen's father was approved to act as an independent surety in the sum of €3,000 which has been frozen in his credit union account.
The father acknowledged that he understood and Judge O'Connor read out the bail terms.
The teenager, whose mother also attended the hearing, was told that he must reside at an address given to the court, obey a 9pm to 7am curfew and sign on daily at his local garda station except on days when he sitting his exams.
He was also told that he must give his phone number to gardai, have no contact with his co-accused personally or by electronic means and have “no contact directly or indirectly with witnesses”.
The boy cannot apply for a duplicate passport or any other travel documents, the judge said.
Detective Sergeant Michael O'Brien told Judge O'Connor that he was seeking an adjournment to allow the book of evidence to be completed.
Before he was released, the teenager, who has not yet indicated how he will plead, thanked the judge who wished him good luck in his exams.
The boy, who said “no comment” when the charges were put to him on May 29 last, was ordered to appear again in seven weeks.
His 19-year-old co-defendant is scheduled to appear again at the Children's Court tomorrow.
While the pair have been charged at the juvenile court, the murder allegation means they will be sent forward for trial to the Central Criminal Court after they have been served with books of evidence.
Mr Heinrich and his friend Mr Rinker, both students at the MHMK Makromedia School for Media and Communication in Munich, had to spend their third semester abroad and had decided to study at Griffith College in Dublin. Mr Heinrich had been expected to return home to Germany in December when his study period in Dublin was due to end.