Wednesday 17 October 2018

Murder accused 'not fit' to attend court hearing

Accused man Mohamed Morei. Photo: Collins
Accused man Mohamed Morei. Photo: Collins

Tom Tuite

An 18-year-old charged with the murder of a Japanese man in a stabbing in Dundalk is undergoing treatment in the Central Mental Hospital (CMH), a court has been told.

Mohamed Morei, who was remanded in custody last week after he was charged with the murder of 24-year-old Yosuke Sasaki, was "not fit to attend" a court hearing yesterday, Judge Victor Blake was told.

Mr Sasaki was fatally stabbed on Avenue Road shortly before 9am on January 3.

Mr Sasaki from Ebina, west of Tokyo, worked at National Pen, a call centre in Dundalk, Co Louth, and had lived in Ireland for the past year.

Following his death, an Irishman was injured when he was stabbed a short time later on Coes Road in Dundalk. At 9.40am, gardaí received a report that another local man was injured in an attack with a fence pole at Seatown Place.

Mr Morei, whose nationality has to be confirmed, was remanded in custody by Dundalk District Court on January 4 last after he was charged with the murder of Mr Sasaki.

When Mr Morei's case was called at Cloverhill District Court yesterday, Judge Victor Blake was informed he was not able to attend.

Judge Blake said he had been furnished with a letter from a forensic psychiatrist at the CMH where the accused was under-going medical treatment. It was the doctor's opinion that Mr Morei would be unfit to come to court in two weeks' time, Judge Blake said.

Judge Blake adjourned the case until January 25.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News