Saturday 16 December 2017

Murder accused gave gardai rosary for mum of victim, court told

Natasha Reid

Barry Doyle: has pleaded not guilty to murder

THE man who admitted shooting rugby player Shane Geoghegan gave gardai a set of rosary beads to pass on to the dead man's mother, his trial heard yesterday.

Former bricklayer Barry Doyle (25) took the white, plastic beads from around his neck shortly after making the admission in Bruff garda station in Co Limerick.

The father-of-three with addresses at Portland Row, Dublin; and Hyde Road, Limerick, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Geoghegan on November 9, 2008.

The 28-year-old was shot dead in a suspected case of mistaken identity across the road from his home in Clonmore, Kilteragh, Dooradoyle.

Detective Sergeant Mark Philips of the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation was giving evidence yesterday of an interview he conducted with Mr Doyle on the morning of Friday, February 27, 2008. The detective identified the rosary beads in court before continuing his evidence about the Friday morning interview.

"Are you religious?" asked the detectives of Mr Doyle.

"Not really," he responded.

"Do you believe in God?" he was asked.

"I do and I don't," he said.

Mr Doyle was asked if he admitted the shooting because he felt guilty.

"My bird was involved as well," he replied.

"Was your intention to kill the person you shot?" he was asked.

"I told you I shot him. I followed him and I shot him," he responded.

"Obviously it was your intention to kill him. Is that fair to say?" he was asked again later.

"Yeah," he responded.

The accused marked on a map the garden into which he chased Mr Geoghegan.


"I seen Shane up against the wall . . . I leaned over and shot him . . . twice, just twice in the head," he explained.

"He asked me to stop," he said, adding that he said nothing to Mr Geoghegan.

"He sort of fell down," he continued. "He was leaning against the wall when I shot him and he just slid down."

He would not tell the detectives anything about the gun or who was in the stolen car to which he ran, but he denied that he was in fear. "I don't want to talk about it," he said, while agreeing that the others involved should pay too.

He agreed that he regretted the shooting.

"Is your conscience clear?" he was asked later.

"You could say that, yeah," he responded.

The detective said the accused was also asked about the gun jamming and gestured to them how he fixed it.

"He held out his right hand as if he had an imaginary pistol. With his left hand, he pulled back an imaginary slide," explained Sgt Philips.

Crime and policing analyst Brendan Power gave evidence of 70 text messages and two calls between Mr Doyle and his girlfriend in the 24 hours from 6pm on November 8, 2008.

Under cross-examination by the defence, he said that there were 163 text messages and more than a dozen calls between them on November 7, 2008.

The trial continues.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News