Friday 19 January 2018

Mum-of-three 'never got to touch her newborn baby' before she died of cancer

Melissa Hamilton with her husband Seamus
Melissa Hamilton with her husband Seamus
Melissa Hamilton's husband Seamus

Tim Healy

A 34-year-old mother who died of cancer never got to touch her newborn girl after birth.

Mum of-three Melissa Hamilton died on September 8, 2011, eight days after her third daughter was delivered by Caesarean section.

Ms Hamilton died of cancer after two opportunities to diagnose her were missed, the High Court heard.

Her husband Seamus Hamilton yesterday told the court he was lucky enough to marry his soul mate and when she died just a fortnight after her breast cancer was finally diagnosed it felt like a different world.

The grieving husband also had to break the news after the funeral to his two young daughters, Jessica who was six years old at the time and Darcey who was two.

"It is not a job I want to have to do again.

Melissa Hamilton's husband Seamus
Melissa Hamilton's husband Seamus

"I could see it in Jessica's eyes. I told her mummy was in heaven and looking over her like an angel," he said.

He added: "Less than a year later she told me she thought her mummy was only gone to heaven for a while. That was tougher that actually telling her."

Mr Hamilton has launched an action for damages as a result of the wrongful death of his wife.

The widower, from Sallywood, Killgordon, Co Donegal, along with their three children,  Jessica (10) Darcey (6) and Gracie, who was born just days before her mother's death, have sued GP Eileen Coyne with an address at Health Centre, Stranorlar, Donegal and the HSE.

It was claimed the GP had a duty of care to Mrs Hamilton to exercise all reasonable skill and care in the provision of medical services including the provision of all services necessary to assist in the diagnosis and early treatment of her breast cancer.

The HSE, it is claimed, was responsible for the control, management and operation of the Breast Centre North West triple assessment clinic in Letterkenny General Hospital and also had a duty to take all reasonable steps to safeguard Mrs Hamilton's life.

It is claimed there was a failure to diagnose Mrs Hamilton's cancer at an earlier treatable stage and negligent delay in achieving a cancer diagnosis.

Liability was admitted last month and the case is before the court for assessment of damages.

Mrs Hamilton, the court heard, began to attend Dr Coyne in November/December 2009 with symptoms relating to her right breast.

She was referred and attended the breast clinic in Letterkenny in February 2010 for a scan and  was told she had a benign cyst.

Senior Counsel, Eugene Gleeson, said this was the first missed opportunity.

By June 2010, the court heard, the pain was worse and there was a discharge from her breast.

She was referred to the breast clinic again and diagnosed with mastitis and prescribed antibiotics and referred back to her GP.

This, counsel said, was the second missed opportunity and sadly Mrs Hamilton was labouring under the impression she was well.

Throughout the following months, it was claimed she continued to consult her GP presenting with symptoms including a lump in her right breast.

In August 2011, she went to a locum GP who immediately referred her to the breast clinic.

She was diagnosed with invasive Grade 3 cancer and she had an 8cm tumour in her right breast.

A decision was made to deliver her baby by C-section at 28 weeks.

The baby was very premature and was taken to Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry within an hour of her birth.

She had to have a hysterectomy and remained in hospital where she died on September 8.

In evidence,  Mr Hamilton, a service engineer, said after the diagnosis was made of his wife's cancer he had given up his job.

When she was referred a third time to the breast clinic he said Melissa had a 'bad feeling'. He said after a series of tests, they were brought in to a room and told about the cancer.

"It hit Melissa, it was not easy to listen to. We went home and she broke  down," he said.

Within two days she was back in hospital.

"She never left hospital after that Sunday," he said.

His wife saw her newborn baby but was not able to touch her and Gracie, who was not well, was transferred to Derry, he said.

He has found it very hard to come to terms with his wife's death and he suffers from flashbacks and never gets a full night's sleep.

The case continues.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News