Friday 13 December 2019

Mother of two brothers murdered in gangland killings: 'I'm a broken woman'

An Cappagh Nua in Finglas where Alan McNally was murdered
An Cappagh Nua in Finglas where Alan McNally was murdered

David Kearns

The mother of two brothers murdered in brutal gangland style killings has been left a “broken woman”.

Marie McNally said she will never get over the loss of her two boys as she attended an inquest into the death of her younger son, Alan McNally (36).

“My life is over,” she declared as the jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing.

Alan, from Cappagh Avenue, was killed February 2 2012 after he was shot multiple times while drinking in the Cappagh House pub in Finglas.

The father of three sons, the youngest of whom was six when his father was killed, had only recently been released from prison after serving five and a half years for possession of €200,000 worth of heroin.

Having been at the bar drinking all day, McNally had just text a friend to say he was about to leave when he was gunned shortly after 1:10 am.

The victim was in jail when his brother Graham was murdered in a similar fashion three years previously by feared mobster Eamon ‘The Don’ Dunne, who himself was killed in 2010 while attending a friend's birthday party at a pub in Cabra.

Two masked gunmen shot him several times in front of his 17-year-old daughter before escaping.

It is understood that those involved in killing Alan are also suspected to have carried out the fatal shooting of his brother, as well as a several other alleged gangland figures.

Today’s inquest heard Alan had previously told a friend, Laura Pennick, that his “head was wrecked” due to an ongoing threat to his life.

“[He] had been badly beaten following a row with some gang from Ballymun,” she told the court.

“He said they were not people you would want to start something with. He was on edge about it, he was worried.”

Having confirmed she had spoken with the slain father of three moments before his death, Ms Pennick added that the Cappagh House pub “wouldn’t be somewhere he would normally go or stay all day.”

Detective Inspector Des McTiernan said Gardaí followed 450 lines of inquiry and took 250 witness statements as part of a detailed murder investigation but ultimately no charges were brought.

“All avenues were pursued to their finality but the case remains open,” Det Insp McTiernan said.

Among those spoken to by Gardaí was Gary Thompson, who in his statement said he had been drinking at the bar all day on February 1 with Alan.

“We were fairly drunk and out of our heads.

“I was talking to Alan and next thing I heard a loud bang. I saw a fella’s arm, a black gun. I jumped off the stool and ran out to the lounge into the storeroom and shut the door behind me. I thought it was me they were after,” Mr Thompson added.

Alan was rushed to Connolly Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds, according to a post-mortem carried out by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis.

Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane extended her sympathies to Mrs McNally, who in 2014 was left penniless after thieves stolen almost €70,000 from her bank account. 

“This is a very tragic case. I’m aware you been bereaved previously in a similar fashion, this must be an unbearable burden to bear.”

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News