Wednesday 21 February 2018

Mother and son settle damages claim after industrial fire engulfed home

By Ray Managh

A MOTHER and her 12-year-old son who were injured when smoke and toxic fumes from an industrial fire engulfed their home have settled damages claims totalling €76,000 in the Circuit Civil Court.

Barney Quirke, counsel for the boy, Christopher Smith, of Carmelite Cottages, Marsh Road, Drogheda, told the Circuit Civil Court the Smith family had to be vacated from their home in the middle of the night when fire broke out on a John Sisk storage site on June 2009.

Hugh B. Byrne, counsel for the boy’s mother, Ms Karen Smith, told Judge Matthew Deery she had settled her claim and asked for it to be struck out.  No figure in her €38,000 claim was disclosed in court.

Mr Quirke, who asked the court to approve a €17,500 settlement offer for Christopher, said fires had often been maliciously set on the site occupied by John Sisk and Son Ltd., opposite the Smith home.

On June 7, 2009, when Christopher was aged eight, a fire had got out of control to the extent that the Smith family had to be evacuated.  Apart from having been extremely shocked and distressed, Christopher, had suffered from smoke inhalation.

Mr Quirke said the boy started coughing up black phlegm and required a nebuliser and steroid treatment for an upper respiratory tract infection.

He told Judge Deery that the defendant John Sisk and Son Limited, Wilton Works, Naas Road, Clondalkin, Dublin, had offered Christopher €17,500 which he was recommending to the court.

Judge Deery approved the settlement for Christopher.  No details of his mother’s claim were divulged in court.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News