Tuesday 23 January 2018

'Monster' gets six years' jail for torture of boy (14)

Sonya McLean and  Jessica Magee

A MAN has been jailed for six years after he tied a 14-year-old boy to a radiator, poured boiling water down his trousers and removed skin from his knees, knuckles and fingertips with a cheese grater.

Alan Ellis (21) pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to false imprisonment and assault causing harm to the teenager on March 12, 2012.

Ellis, of Rathmines Road Lower in Dublin, brought the boy into a flat and said he wanted to show him how to tie a particular knot. He then used a flex to tie the victim to the radiator before he tortured him for almost hour and a half.

Ellis has since been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic. Judge Desmond Hogan sentenced him to a total of nine years in prison – with three suspended – for this and other offences, including assault causing harm and burglary.

Judge Hogan said Ellis has "a propensity to do very violent things," and that he seems to be getting worse. However, he added that it was Ellis's drug-taking that led him to commit crime – not his illness.


Garda Eddie Fallon told the court that Ellis was convinced the teenager had found a stash of drugs.

The teenager escaped after he told Ellis that his father had some money – but he didn't return and gardai were alerted.

A victim impact report before the court said the now 16-year-old boy had burns to his genitals and inner thighs.

It was initially believed he would need skin grafts but the skin has since healed. He continues to receive treatment.

His mother outlined in the statement that the assault had changed her son's life and he had since left school.

Ellis was also sentenced for two charges of burglary of his neighbour's homes and stealing a Porsche at Knocklyon on October 6, 2011.

Ellis further pleaded guilty to assaulting a staff member at an Esso Service Station on Dublin's Mount Merrion Road on February 12 2012.


Ellis's mother Christina described her son as being like two different people – compassionate one day and behaving like a monster was coming out of him the next.

Ms Ellis said she had to move her younger children out of the family home because they were frightened by her son's violence.

She said Ellis confessed to her at one point about his drug addiction, saying that he had started "taking everything and anything to stop the voices in my head".

Judge Hogan ordered that Ellis keep the peace and be of good behaviour for five years on his release from custody.

He also instructed that Ellis be given psychiatric help in prison and that he undergo a drug treatment course.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News