Tuesday 22 October 2019

Molly Martens 'made crying noises but shed no tears' as Jason lay dead

Examiner 'noted' no injuries to Molly's neck at the crime scene

Molly Martens-Corbett and father Thomas Martens arrive at Davidson County Courthouse yesterday morning. Photo: Donnie Roberts/The Dispatch
Molly Martens-Corbett and father Thomas Martens arrive at Davidson County Courthouse yesterday morning. Photo: Donnie Roberts/The Dispatch

Ralph Riegel

Murder accused Molly Martens-Corbett was making crying noises when police took her away from the scene of her husband's death, but there were no tears, a court heard.

On the ninth day of the Davidson County Superior Court trial, former Davidson County police officer David Dillard explained he was tasked at the scene with staying with Ms Martens-Corbett at his patrol car.

"She was making crying noises, but I did not see any visible tears," he said. "She was also rubbing her neck in a scrubbing motion - she would do it and then stop, do it and then stop."

The trial also heard how a Carolina crime scene examiner had to repeatedly ask Ms Martens-Corbett (33) to stop rubbing and tugging at her neck as she stood outside the home where her husband, Jason Corbett (39, inset), was found with fatal injuries.

Lieutenant Frank Young of the Davidson County Sheriff's Office said he asked Ms Martens-Corbett for permission to photograph her to note any injuries she might have.

Analysis: Lawns, deckchairs and cold beers: the hours before the violence

Ms Martens-Corbett had earlier told a paramedic that her husband had tried to choke her.

However, Lt Young said he noted no injuries on the young woman's neck or throat at the scene. "There was initial consent to be allowed to take photographs," he told the court. "Ms (Martens) Corbett continually pulled and tugged on her neck with her hand. I asked her to stop doing that."

Lt Young said that: "After several requests, she did (stop)."

Read More: Molly Martens had 'no injuries' after husband Jason Corbett killed and was told to stop rubbing her neck, trial hears

The police officer said he photographed the young woman's neck from all angles but said he noted no injuries.

"None that I noted," he said.

The photos were displayed by an overhead projector to the murder trial.

Lt Young said he did observe blood on Ms Martens-Corbett's face and hair.

Ms Martens-Corbett and her father, retired FBI agent Thomas Michael Martens (67), both deny the second-degree murder of Irish businessman Mr Corbett on August 2, 2015.

The father and daughter argued they acted in self-defence.

Mr Martens claimed his son-in-law attacked his daughter, choking her and threatening to kill her.

Meanwhile, two paramedics gave evidence about how they noted the coldness of Mr Corbett's body as they treated him in an ambulance outside his home.

One was so alarmed by the coolness of the blood-soaked body she asked a colleague how long it was before someone had made a 911 emergency call.

Emergency medical services officials David Bent and Amanda Hackworth both questioned how long the Limerick father-of-two had been dead. "He's cool - how long has he been down," Ms Hackworth asked after she noted the apparent temperature of Mr Corbett's body. "It was fairly alarming.

Read More: Jason Corbett's body 'appeared cool' when paramedics arrived at his home, trial hears

"I asked Sergeant (Barry) Alphin... I said 'how long did they say they waited before they called 911?' He said (they claimed) they called the minute he went down."

The trial, before Judge David Lee, has already heard Mr Corbett died from at least 12 severe blows to the head. These were inflicted by a baseball bat and a garden paving brick.

Traces of the sedative Trazodone, prescribed to his wife, were also found in his system as well as minor levels of alcohol.

His skull was shattered in multiple places and pathologist Dr Craig Nelson said the scale of the damage was akin to someone who had fallen from a great height or been involved in a car crash.

Paramedics and sheriffs office officials raced to the property in the gated Meadowlands community between Lexington and Winston-Salem after Mr Martens made a 14-minute 911 call at 3.02am.

Paramedics and police officers were at the scene in less than 10 minutes.

During that time, a 911 dispatcher, Karen Capps, had been talking the father and daughter through 600 chest compressions for CPR in a bid to save Mr Corbett's life.

The trial continues.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News