Thursday 21 November 2019

Missing Amy's stepdad charged with murder of her brother Dean

Dave Mahon arriving at Dublin District Court yesterday
Dave Mahon arriving at Dublin District Court yesterday
Andrew Phelan

Andrew Phelan

THE stepfather of missing teenager Amy Fitzpatrick has been charged with murdering her brother Dean.

Dave Mahon (43) met gardai by arrangement yesterday before being arrested and charged over the killing of Dean Fitzpatrick. The 23-year-old was fatally stabbed last year.

Mr Mahon appeared in Dublin District Court and was remanded in custody after Judge Cormac Dunne was told he made no reply to the charge.

Mr Mahon, with an address at The Crescent, Ongar Village, Clonsilla, Dublin, is charged with murdering Dean Fitzpatrick at Burnell Square Apartments at Northern Cross on the Malahide Road on May 26, 2013.

Dean was fatally stabbed in an apartment in the complex on the night.

Mr Mahon, who lives in Spain with Amy's mother Audrey, had been previously questioned by gardai and released without charge but returned to Ireland last Saturday after being notified that the DPP intended to prosecute him.

Detective Garda Brendan Mears told the court he met the accused at Coolock garda station by appointment at 9.26am. He was charged at 9.40am by Sgt Michael Gormley and made no reply after caution.

Defence solicitor Michael Staines made no application for bail on Mr Mahon's behalf, as this can only be granted in the High Court on a murder charge.

Mr Staines told the court he wanted to say "for the record" that the accused had met the gardai by appointment for interview earlier in the investigation and kept in contact constantly during it. He had come back when requested.


Judge Dunne granted legal aid after Mr Staines said his client was on disability allowance. There was no objection by gardai. The judge remanded the defendant in custody, to appear in Cloverhill District Court on April 2.

The accused, wearing a grey pinstripe suit, white open-necked shirt and carrying a walking cane raised his hand in greeting to the judge before and after the brief proceedings.

He also waved to Audrey Fitzpatrick, who had sat in the public gallery of Courtroom No 2 in the Criminal Courts of Justice throughout yesterday morning's proceedings.

Dean Fitzpatrick, a father-of-one, was rushed to Beaumont Hospital following the stabbing but pronounced dead soon after.

Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis performed the post-mortem and concluded that the cause of death was a stab wound to the abdomen.

The Fitzpatrick family is well known, having run a campaign for five years in an effort to progress the search for Amy.

Amy and Dean went to live in Spain in 2004 and were living there with their mother and her partner, Mr Mahon, when Amy went missing.

She was last seen walking home from a friend's house near Mijas on the Costa del Sol at about 10pm on New Year's Day 2008.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News