McGregor's latest motoring charge is knocked out in just 10 seconds
Conor McGregor caused a stir at the Criminal Courts of Justice yesterday when he appeared for a hearing - that lasted barely 10 seconds.
There was a buzz of anticipation on the steps of the Dublin building as word spread from the media throng to the queues at the public entrance that the MMA superstar was due to arrive to answer his latest motoring charge.
The UFC fighter was number 48 on the list of defendants who were due to appear before Judge Geraldine Carthy at Dublin District Court Number 8.
It was the second time in less than three weeks he had come before a judge for alleged breaches of road traffic laws.
This time, McGregor, of Laraghcon, Lucan, Dublin, was accused of driving without insurance or a licence and failing to produce them at a Garda station after being stopped at Grove Road, Rathmines, on July 10.
His solicitor, Graham Kenny, turned up early which sparked speculation that McGregor would not be coming to court in person.
However, word soon got out that a legal consultation room had been booked in advance.
Shortly after 10.30am, McGregor's black BMW with blacked-out rear windows pulled up.
McGregor, wearing a navy suit, white shirt and purple tie, got out and walked to the front door flanked by dark-suited minders, past the gathered journalists and photographers.
He was ushered into a consultation with Mr Kenny, then remained outside the packed courtroom until minutes before his case was called.
He stood in the public gallery and was seen smiling and chatting for a moment with RTÉ's crime correspondent Paul Reynolds, who was among the reporters covering the case.
When McGregor's name was called, Mr Kenny told Judge Carthy that he appeared for the accused, who then came forward from the back of the courtroom.
Garda Keith Dolan made an application for the case to be struck out.
McGregor's documents had been verified and had been produced in advance of the hearing.
"Strike out all matters," Judge Carthy said.
McGregor nodded and murmured: "Thanks," then made his way out.
Minutes later, he walked briskly to his waiting car amid shouts of support from members of the public, with whom he posed for some selfies.
Yesterday's court appearance was McGregor's latest in a long line.
He was banned from driving for six months and fined €1,000 for speeding at Naas District Court less than three weeks ago.
In that case, he had been caught driving at 154kmh in a 100kmh zone on the N7 in Kill, Co Kildare, on October 11, 2017. He pleaded guilty, and a judge noted he had 12 previous motoring convictions.
In November last year, he was fined €400 at Blanchardstown District Court for speeding in an incident in which he broke the 100kmh limit on the N7 Naas Road at Rathcoole on March 31, 2017.