McGregor in clear as US prosecutors drop phone theft charges
Conor McGregor is off the hook for allegedly smashing a fan's phone outside a hotel in Florida, after the complainant stopped co-operating with prosecutors.
The MMA fighter was arrested on March 11 and charged with two felonies after allegedly "stomping" on the mobile phone outside the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach.
Mr McGregor last month pleaded not guilty to charges of "robbery by sudden snatching" and criminal mischief.
But prosecutors in the Florida city have dropped charges against the fighter - because the state believed it could no longer prove them.
Court documents say the prosecutor made several attempts to contact British complainant Ahmed Abdirzak "without much luck".
It is understood that Mr Abdirzak has returned to England and "will no longer be participating in the prosecution of Mr McGregor".
The 'Miami Herald' reported Mr Abdirzak also dropped his civil lawsuit against Mr McGregor after reaching a settlement. According to court documents, Mr Abdirzak's attorney told the prosecutor that his client "has been made whole" by Mr McGregor.
The memorandum continues: "Mr Abdirzak has had some time to reflect on his encounter with Mr McGregor ... he no longer believes Mr McGregor sought to injure or damage him or his property or permanently or temporarily deprive him of his property".
According to the lawsuit, Mr Abdirzak and other fans were videoing Mr McGregor when the fighter allegedly slapped the phone out of Mr Abdirzak's hand, repeatedly stamped on it and walked off with it.
The charges were formally dropped at a hearing in Miami yesterday. Prosecutor Khalil Madani said: "The victim of the crime does not wish to return to the United States and prosecute this case."
Mr McGregor did not appear in court for the hearing.
The court documents further outline that "even if the state were able to produce Mr Abdirzak at trial, he has credibility issues as he's changed his previously sworn testimony".