Friday 20 April 2018

Massive gardai operation as Roy Collins murder accused goes to mother's funeral

Roy Collins was murdered in 2009
Roy Collins was murdered in 2009

A massive garda operation was in put in place today after a man on trial for the murder of Roy Collins travelled to Limerick for his mother’s funeral.

Nathan Killeen (23), of Hyde Road, Prospect, Limerick, is standing trial for the murder of the innocent businessman.

His co-accused is Wayne Dundon (35), of Leniham Avenue, Prospect, Limerick.

The trial opened last week in the Special Criminal Court but was adjourned on Friday after it emerged Susan Kinsella (55) had died.

This morning, Killeen travelled to Limerick under garda escort.

His prison van drove in through the private entrance of Cross’s Funeral Home in Limerick City where Killeen got to see his mother in private.

Gardai monitored the situation closely.

Other members of the Killeen family were present including Nathan’s sister Ciara Killeen, who is the partner of John Dundon.

Susan Killeen was found in a river in Limerick city in the early hours of Friday morning.

She was subsequently taken to University Hospital Limerick where she was pronounced dead.

Last week, Nathan Killeen and Wayne Dundon were charged with murdering 35-year-old Roy Collins at Coin Castle Amusements, Roxboro Road Shopping Centre on April 9, 2009.

They were arraigned before the non-jury court yesterday and pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutor Michael O'Higgins SC said in his opening speech that Wayne Dundon had directed the murder from prison, Nathan Killeen was the getaway driver and another man, James Dillon, was the gunman.

The four-week trial before Justice O'Malley, Judge Margaret Heneghan and Judge Ann Ryan is the first to be heard by three female judges. The trial is scheduled to begin again next Tuesday .

Susan Killeen is the daughter of Mary and Eddie Casey Snr -- both from Limerick.

She married John Killeen and had four children.

In a later relationship with another man, she had twin brothers, Nathan and Gavin.

Gavin died suddenly years previously while the brothers' father is also dead.


At the Central Criminal Court in 2006, Edward Casey, was sentenced to 11 years' imprisonment for the horrific aggravated sexual assault of a 23-year-old woman in Galway on September 30, 2004.

The young victim was walking through the Loch a' tSaile area of the city when Casey dragged her into a grassy bank and sexually assaulted her.

His young victim feared that she was going to be killed during the attack and begged him to release her.

Calls made to Casey's mobile phone from his partner in Limerick at the time of the assault proved vital in his prosecution.

Ray Casey died in prison while serving a life sentence for the murder of a Limerick barman in 1997.

Noel Pyper, (48), was kicked to death in a Limerick laneway by Ray Casey and another man, Anthony Casey (no relation) on August 12, 1997.

The pair stalked their victim as he left a fast food outlet in the city centre on his journey home.

Ray Casey and his accomplice believed Pyper was carrying the takings from the pub he had just finished work in. After pouncing on their lone target, they dragged Pyper down a laneway.

When they found he didn't have the money, they kicked him to death and left his body among refuse sacks.

The murder trial took nearly five years to come before a court because Ray Casey -- who then had 53 previous convictions -- changed his defence lawyers several times.

Ray Casey died after collapsing in the exercise yard of Portlaoise prison.

A cousin of Nathan Killeen and son of Edward Casey, Stephen O'Sullivan is serving a lengthy sentence for the gun killing of Mark Moloney in 2008.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News