Martens-Corbett faces deadline in lawsuit
Molly Martens-Corbett and her parents have been given four weeks to respond to a civil action for damages over the wrongful death of her husband in the US.
A court in North Carolina imposed the deadline after all three sought additional time to respond to the lawsuit. The civil action was initiated last month, prior to the outcome of the trial over Jason Corbett's death.
Martens-Corbett (33) and her father, retired FBI agent Thomas Martens (67), were jailed on August 9 for between 20 and 25 years after being found guilty of the Limerick man's second degree murder at his home in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, on August 2, 2015.
Her mother Sharon Martens, who was not charged with any offence, is also being sued.
According to court filings seen by the Irish Independent, separate applications were made earlier this month by Martens-Corbett and her parents for more time to respond to the lawsuit, brought by Mr Corbett's brother-in-law David Lynch as executor of his estate. The applications were granted by Davidson County Superior Court.
In the lawsuit, Mr Corbett's estate is seeking at least $50,000 (€42,200) in damages.
A first claim seeks in excess of €25,000 (€21,200) for the pain and suffering endured by Mr Corbett and the fact his two children have lost out on his income, protection, care and companionship. It also seeks the cost of his funeral.
Lawyers for Mr Lynch said Martens-Corbett and her father had "intentionally, wilfully and maliciously assaulted Jason Corbett, including hitting him on the head with a baseball bat and a concrete paving block, causing his death".
The lawsuit alleges Sharon Martens "aided and abetted" in the killing and in the concealment and destruction of evidence. A second claim says the three acted with malice.