Monday 11 December 2017

Man who killed mother was attacked by men as a child, court heard

The Central Criminal Court
The Central Criminal Court

Natasha Reid

A court has heard that the behaviour of a Mayo man who killed his mother had ‘completely changed’ after he was attacked by two men as a child.

Celyn Eadon’s murder trial at the Central Criminal Court was today hearing evidence from his mother’s former partner.

Mr Eadon (22) of Derrycrieve, Islandeady, Castlebar admits the manslaughter of his mother, Noreen Kelly. However, he has pleaded not guilty to her murder at that address on March 9, 2011. The 46-year-old died of multiple stab wounds.

Her former partner, Michael Kelly, testified that he had known the accused since Mr Eadon was nine years old. He was asked by Diarmaid McGuinness SC, defending, about a beating his client had received three years later.

“Celyn was totally innocent, going through a field, and he was jumped on by a farmer and a son,” he said, adding that the two men had beaten the 12-year-old ‘with sticks and steal-toe boots’.

“The doctor said in the hospital that it was the worst incident he’d seen in five years,” he continued. “He was only 12. It dramatically affected him.”

Mr Kelly said that Mr Eadon had not wanted to go the gardai at first and it took a few days to convince him to do so.

“It went to court, where he won,” he recalled.

 “About a year after, she (the deceased) came to me one day and said she was very concerned and was finding it very difficult to get him to go to see a counsellor,” he said.

Mr Kelly decided to speak to Mr Eadon.

“I said what happened to him was completely wrong and I knew it was hard for him to go back in his mind,” he said

“His childhood was taken from him after this incident,” he added. “His behaviour completely changed.”

Mr Kelly said he learned the accused was taking drugs a few months before Ms Kelly died.

The trial also heard from the detective who arrested Mr Eadon a number of hours after his mother’s death.

Detective Sergeant James Carroll testified that he was called to another house in the area at 7.35am. He said Mr Eadon’s upper body was badly scratched and that he was confused and distracted.

He asked the accused what had happened.

“She went for me. I didn’t know it was my mother. It was a totally different person,” he told the detective. “I had a knife in my pocket. I clipped her with the knife. I fell asleep in the room. I woke up. I couldn’t breathe. I went out to cut a tree,” he said.

D Sgt Carroll said he then arrested the accused and noted his response:

“I thought it was some other person. The whole house was filled with black smoke. My mother wasn’t the same.”

The court already heard that Mr Eadon was later taken to hospital, where his urine tested positive for amphetamine, methamphetamine and marijuana and a diagnosis was given of acute psychotic episode secondary to polysubstance abuse.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Paul Carney and a jury of seven men and five women.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News