| 18°C Dublin

Man who kidnapped teen for ransom jailed for seven years

A MAN who was involved in kidnapping a 16-year-old and holding him for ransom has been jailed for seven years at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Darren Boylan (21) of St Mark’s Grove, Clondalkin pleaded guilty to falsely imprisoning the teenager on July 27, 2010 at Portrane Road, Donabate. He also pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to him at Beaverstown Road, Donabate and to making a demand for €4,000 from his sister on the same date.

Garda Aidan McGuire told prosecuting counsel Michael Bowman BL that the victim and his friends were returning home from a house party when a car, driven by Boylan, pulled up alongside them at Beaverstown Road in Donabate.

An argument broke out before one of the men got out and threw an empty beer bottle at the teen.

Boylan drove the car away and crashed into a wall, damaging the rear of the car, before driving back to where the victim and his friends were.

The teen’s friends ran away and Boylan drove the car at him, causing him to fall onto a gate.

Three men got out and started hitting the teen with a wheel brace. They grabbed him and put him into the boot of the car.

Boylan drove for 45 minutes to the M50 where the gang took the teen out of the boot and tied his legs together before pushing him into a ditch. They told him they wanted money for the damage caused to Boylan’s car.

The men made the teen phone his sister to get her to bring €4,000 to them. They threatened her that if she didn’t bring the money, her brother would be killed.

She informed her mother and uncle who in turn called gardai. Shortly afterwards the men untied the victim and ran away, leaving him alone on the motorway where he contacted gardai from an emergency phone.

He was brought to Beaumont Hospital and treated for facial and head injuries. He received nine stitches to two cuts to his head.

Boylan, who has 18 previous convictions, was arrested at his home in Clondalkin a short time later and admitted to gardai it was a “spur of the moment” incident which began with a drunken exchange of words between the two groups and “then got out of hand.”

Gda McGuire agreed with defence counsel Dean Kelly BL, that Boylan was not the main culprit in the incident.

Judge Martin Nolan accepted Boylan wasn’t a leader but noted he actively took part in the incident by driving the car.