| 17°C Dublin

Man who had boiling water thrown over him in Dublin hostel sues for damages


The Four Courts, Dublin

The Four Courts, Dublin

The Four Courts, Dublin

A MAN who says boiling water thrown over him as he watched a rugby match in a Dublin city hostel has sued for damages in the High Court.

Mark Inglis (46) said he had been living at the Salvation Army premises for homeless men at York House, Longford Street, Dublin, for about nine months because he was desperate and had nowhere to go.

Mr Inglis, originally from Aldershot in England, has sued The Salvation Army Dublin as a result of the attack on August 21, 2010. 

He claims there was a failure to take any or any reasonable care to ensure he would be safe using the premises and that he was allegedly allowed to be in fear of his safety. 

The claims are denied.

He suffered burns to his face, chest and abdomen and legs had to spend more than two weeks in the St James Hospital burns unit.

He said when he was attacked the lights went out in the hostel  TV room and a kettle of boiling water was thrown at him, the kettle ending up upside down on his lap.

He told the court he ran to the security office  for help, but he claimed he was not let in and had to run out in to the street to a cafe for help.

"I was very red and sore at that stage and brought to hospital," he said.

Mr Inglis  has claimed he was attacked by another resident in the hostel days after he had told staff the man had threatened him with violence after he had made a complaint about him making noise.

"He said you are going to regret this and you have burnt your bridges," he said.

The court heard a bench warrant has been issued for the other man after he failed to turn up in court for the prosecution of the case relating to the attack.

In its defence, the Salvation Army contends the allegations that Mr Inglis had complained to staff of threats of violence from the other resident are untrue.

In evidence, Mr Inglis said he had complained a few days before to a security man that the other resident was making noise.

When the then acting assistant manager came to him the next day, he told her the man had threatened him and he asked for the man to be moved.

He said two days later he said he told another member of staff of the threats.

“I informed them about serious threats and nothing was done about it,” he said.

Alannah McCormack,  acting assistant manager at Salvation Ireland, told the court she never had a conversation with Mr Inglis where he said he had been threatened by the other resident. 

The case continues before Ms Justice Bronagh O’Hanlon.

Online Editors